Irrlicht Polarized skydome support

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.

Do you want that feature in irrlicht?

Yes I want it in the engine
67%
Yes I want it
7%
No I don't want it
27%

Total votes: 15

REDDemon
Developer

Irrlicht Polarized skydome support

Post by REDDemon »

I think irrlicht is not able to use polarized skydomes (here is an example:

Image ) internally. I don't know if someone have made a code snippet/plugin/tutorial for this, but i think would be nice add that feature to irrlicht :)
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

You can convert it to irrlicht skydome with gimp

filters>distort>polarcoordinates
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

i tried that, but seems i'm not able to find the correct configuration. The best result i obtained is dividing the image in 2 parts and then doin polar up on one image and polar down on the other image(and i also have to invert horizontally) then i mix in one image file.

On the horizon the skydome done with gimp looks very well, but going to the poles it starts to become too much noised (horizontal zig-zag).

that's the best result i obtained using GIMP starting from one image (if you want to use, use it freely but give me thanks.. anyway the image is not perfect as the skydome in the irrlicht media folder):

Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
roelor

Post by roelor »

You can just make an inverted circle in any 3d modelling program. And make the UWV map Polar. Then use the z buffer to put the model behind any other models. (dont forget to turn fog clipping and lighting off for the model)

(I don't know if all can be done easily in irrlicht, but it shouldn't be that hard unless clipping poses an issue)
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

I know. I have also posted a list of usefull websites with tutorials. there is also one for doing that with blender. Doing that with blender is a bit long anyway.
- by Me
denzelbro

Re: Irrlicht Polarized skydome support

Post by denzelbro »

Looking for this one as well, any updates on this feature?
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Uh - I think we only have ico-spheres. Guess you could create a polar sphere in Blender and update it's positions regularly to the camera-position to get that effect (don't use child as you wouldn't want the rotations of the camera).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

CuteAlien wrote:Uh - I think we only have ico-spheres. Guess you could create a polar sphere in Blender and update it's positions regularly to the camera-position to get that effect (don't use child as you wouldn't want the rotations of the camera).
I see. I was under the impression that this was put on hold, but managed to get enough votes to put forward (else why this voting has taken place). Yes and actually, I have done that workaround on other engines and it does work, but I was looking for an update on what happened on this thread and resolution. thanks.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Everyone can create votes :-) But generally patches work better to get stuff in the engine...
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

CuteAlien wrote:Everyone can create votes :-) But generally patches work better to get stuff in the engine...
Ok I get it now, though it would be nice to get some feedback materialize from these votes for a change. Otherwise I don't see the point in having them in the first place. Anyway, thanks CuteAlien. :)