Screenshot of the Month April 2011 [Winner announced!]

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March

Screenshot of the month April

Poll ended at Thu May 05, 2011 7:26 am

nathanf534 - Blockworld
10%
Sundar - WTA Tennis trumps
2%
tmyke - Land with grass
31%
stefbuet - deferred render, bloom and more
12%
focanafacos - Translucent Surface shader
19%
Masterhawk - Glass angel
26%

Total votes: 42

fmx

Post by fmx »

Some great entries this time round, will be hard to vote :?
nathanf534

Post by nathanf534 »

Hello! You are using occlusion culling?? I trying to show 8 000 blocks without texture and get 8 fps
It is extremely optimized. I am using a custom scene node that renders the world in 16x16x16 chunks, and only renders sides of cubes that are actually seen (so if 2 cubes are touching each other, the touching sides aren't rendered). I am also only using 1 texture for the whole world, and the cubes point to different texture coordinates on that texture. There are still many more optimizations I can do, but for now it is running plenty fast.
while(signatureEmpty){cout<<wittyComment();}
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

Vote now for the best screenshot of April 2011!
The poll will be active until May the 5th
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Does someone see any considerable difference in nathanf534's screenshot compared to my game?

http://celeron.55.lt/~celeron55/minetest
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=40468

I'd like to have nathanf534 clarify what is the case. To me this seems like quite a rude attempt at presenting someone else's work as one's own.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

They both look like minecraft, just like they were supposed to, you can't really say he's ripping off your game, since you're both 'inspired' by the same original game
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I have spent half a year of my life working on my project from the ground up and I want to know when someone is using my code. I don't want to restrict people using my code, I just would like to have my work acknowledged. It's about the work, not the similarity in itself.

And my game is not exactly /supposed to/ look just like Minecraft. Minecraft just happens to have found many of the best solutions in this new genre. I understand it's difficult to see the differences when one hasn't studied what the making of one of these actually involves.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

How can you be sure he is using your code just by seeing a screenshot?
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Yeah... they don't look alike at all :wink:
I think you don't have to worry here :)
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Luben

Post by Luben »

Me too thinks that nathans and celerons game looks not very much alike, except for being block-based. I haven't played nathans though, so hard to tell.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Radikalizm wrote:How can you be sure he is using your code just by seeing a screenshot?
I am not sure, that is why I asked.

But as you seem truly interested, I can explain what made me to suspect that:

- A Minecraft clone made in Irrlicht - seems quite odd that someone else had made exactly the same thing.
- He mentions it being very fast. Making a block world game run fast is not an easy task and takes an awful lot of time to do, and is exactly what I have concentrated at doing. I have a very sucky computer and it has forced me to do it so. As in the previous one, seems uncertain that someone else had done the same.
- He mentions flowing water, shadows and network operation. Also the leaves of the trees are drawn exactly like I made them. Altough all of these are in Minecraft too, it is suspicious that someone has implemented exactly the same things and nothing more, except the modified gui. For example, the water is drawn to the same level as the cubes, like I do, and not like in Minecraft.

EDIT: Also, for example, there is no skybox or anything in the sky, like in Minetest-c55 there wasn't until today, while in Minecraft there is. Also, in Minecraft, the player's hand or tool is shown. Not in this one or in mine.

What do you think?
Luben

Post by Luben »

Well, i, too, am implementing an engine that's based on tiles in 3d (It's not a minecraft clone though, it's inspired by a way cooler game ;] ). And i started out with irrlicht as well, but i've moved into pure gl since then. I'm fairly certain my renderer is somewhat quick as well, and it uses the same techniques as nathan described a few days ago. And we're going to implement water and some form of non-local lighting and networking as well, eventually. We also have a gui, but no hand or pick or anything and we dont intend for there to be either so.. ;p
Yeah, i haven't made any attempts at sky-rendering yet either :) Got more pressing issues to deal with! :P

And there's been quite a few people who've tried cube-rendering here, us three excluded. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few projects that are being worked on silently, without anouncement one these forums.

Well, i guess this might be a good time for me to admit that i've looked at your code, to see how you've decided to handle a few issues. I don't remember any of your solutions though, it was a few months ago x]
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

And the winner is: "tmyke" with "Land with grass". Congratulations!
nathanf534

Post by nathanf534 »

I have spent half a year of my life working on my project from the ground up and I want to know when someone is using my code. I don't want to restrict people using my code, I just would like to have my work acknowledged. It's about the work, not the similarity in itself.
I built my game 100% by myself, and started before I even knew yours existed. I would definitely not steal someones game/code just for a screenshot.
while(signatureEmpty){cout<<wittyComment();}
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

nathanf534 wrote:
I built my game 100% by myself, and started before I even knew yours existed. I would definitely not steal someones game/code just for a screenshot.
Thanks for the confirmation, and congrats for what you've done thus far, then!