texture my model please? [IRRLICHT FAMILIAR ARTIST NEEDED]

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

texture my model please? [IRRLICHT FAMILIAR ARTIST NEEDED]

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

i would try to do it myself... but im not that great a artist.. and i dont have the time; i have a lot of code to get writing.

you will of course receive a fair mention/oral credit as being the artist of the texture in my project i am using this for.

EDIT: you can just leave the person bald. make them male or female, whichever you think will look best, and i do not really care how you texture it with, i mean you can pick their clothes color, eye color and whatever.

also, give me a second to upload the model.

here is link to .3ds model file

http://www.mediafire.com/?1yrvah8u4cqtnhq

you can use the model however you want under zlib license
also if you think it would look better a little bit different modelled you can modify the mesh a bit, but please not too radically different from what i have it now.
Last edited by ChaiRuiPeng on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

I might take a crack at it in a couple days when I have some free time. What kind of project is this being used in? What is the time period?
multum in parvo
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

it is a 3d action-puzzler. you can take as long as you want :)
i can just use the model with a testing grid texture meanwhile.
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

Ok. What is the time period, though? Past, present, future? It would help determine what he or she would look like and what they would wear.
multum in parvo
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

oh sorry i did not understand your last question.

i would like modern era sports wear with bold bright colors, but still matching.

make it look like he/she is going out for a workout. you can pick the clothes, like baggy sweatpants, sports shorts, whatever.

if it is not too much trouble, along the lines of this only about 20% cooler

and maybe something like this girls closer fitting pants

ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

sorry to bump this, but :P

any takers? i have a small project working on, perhaps you've seen my screenshots, the one with the animated platforms.

well anyways. i want to finish that game by the deadline, which is in 2 cycles, and ~~4.5 tiks

although i am confident i can finish the bread and butter programming core of the game, i am not so confident in my artistic abilities.

the project is already integrated with bullet, and a 3/4 done character model that can "grasp" platforms, swing from poles, run etc.. very acrobatic indeed.
the platform animation system and gui to edit/create levels should be 95% done in 2 tiks starting from tonight.

point of game: make it from point A to B, or complete small arbitrary missions where the main difficulties are navigating the dynamic levels etc.

i want to sell the game for 2.99 USD by May 3rd. :P not really thinking that anyone will buy it but worth a try, no?

if you want to partner up ( please i want to keep team small, easier to manage, only two people on team ) and try our luck, then lets go! 8)

if the product flops then of course we can release it open source and be all the wiser. but if we get at least a few hundred buyers then that will be my rent when i plan to move out this summer and then some :) we get at least a little money in our pockets, good no?

just keepinit cool dud and have fun :D

here a screenshot from a few days ago. i will post some more when i get on my desktop if anyone interested wants me to. also mind i will work you very hard and most likely scream at you through internet to finsih your work but remember i am probably also screaming at myself, i have been working overdrive these past 3 cycles to get where i am totik.

EDIT: prefering someone who can work mostly on the art/creative/level design side of it (yea you get the fun part :P ), that way i can focus on hammering out kinks and bugs in the core program
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

Sorry I haven't gotten around to it. I've been very busy. I'll try to help if I can find some free time :x I can't make any guarantees though.
multum in parvo
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

no, no worries at :shock: ohsh... i almost spilled a whole water on my key board :P anyways..

do what you have to do, it's not a problem at all if you can't help. i know what it is like to be very busy. thanks
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

yaaayyy okay so im getting a lot done. i suggest if any of you are thinking about helping NOW IS THE TIME to tell me. only 3 cycles left before may 3rd!!

today i fixed a lot of pesky little bugs and now one of the only major things to do for the level editor is write a serializer to save the levels.

after tomorrow afternoon i will close this opening. sorry it is nothing personal but i really need to know whats going on, if i want this to be in a sellable state by may 3rd.

i will gladly take on the artistic tasks myself but...

well anyways goodnight! :) :shock:
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Can you put the mesh back on the site so I can look at it?
How will you animate the mesh?

You only need a texture over it? I need a little modeling practice now, because I've been coding for months on IRB...
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

okay let me do that.

and yes i only need a texture right now. it will be animated with the setting global bones positioning and by communicating with a class that holds a kind of IK. however the bones are completely aesthetic in my game. the character consist of a center which has manually applied physics for more control, and 'limbs' that are ray casting 3d objects with a btTransform, local to the character center. those ray cast and can create temporary constraints and a temporary rigid body to swing between those.

i am starting working on the second revision of that character model, now that i have a good enough platform animation system.

the model should be here

http://www.mediafire.com/?g9o5h6dlwfv5yb0
christianclavet

Ok. Thanks. I've got it now. I'll check it.

From what I understand, you will rig the skeleton yourself. Thanks for posting the picture for reference.

EDIT:
Ok, looked at the mesh. For animation this mesh is really wrong.

You need more edges that this do bend a joint! The geometry will completely flatten when it will bend. For some strange reasons, the model had no edges at all, had to recreate it in 3D Studio Max. I found the size of the model to be really small too! (normal representation looked bigger than the overal model in my application). The model is about 3 units tall.

If I would have to do the UV and you need that model to animate later, I would have to add more edges. I also could export the model in OBJ format, because the format your using right now is 3DS, I think your loosing the smoothing. And for a model of so few poly, it should help a lot to smooth it...

You could have skinning difficulties because the legs are really near, but with that few poly and if you skin the object vertice-per-vertice it should still work. This one is really not critical, but I try to model character with their leg with more space than that so it's easier to skin...

Do you allow me to retopologyse the mesh so it will at least not flatten? It will need to add more polys to it. Do you have a polycount limit?
Last edited by christianclavet on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

yes i will rig it myself
:D thank you so much!

EDIT: thank you it sounds like your suggestions are along right path so please go ahead and add as many polys as needed to avoid that flattening problem you said.
christianclavet

Hi, Ok. I updated the geometry.

Here a screen of the modified model now:
I added some edge loops to make smoothing look better and increased the details in the face slightly. This shape look more of a women. Still the model is really considered "low poly".

Here are some "quick render" to display the overal shape with the smoothing applied on the polygons:

The UV`s have not been done yet, but can you check if it can load, check the updated model on your end? Does it still work as you wanted?

Once you confirm me that it's all ok, I'll start the UV`s and map a texture on it.

I used the OBJ format as this format should keep the smoothing on the mesh polys. For a skinned and rigged model, you will probably have to use the .b3d or .x format.

Here the model file:
http://www.clavet.org/files/models/Character.obj
(right click and select "SAVE AS" to save the file, as this document will show as text in the brower)
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

oh it looks much better than my programmer art model :P

i am not on my desktop right now and this computer cant handle blender without acting like its a 40 mhz computer. i will check it asap

i just need about 2-3 days to finish up the character mechanics system and then i can show a small demo video with that model

thanks again :D