texture my model please? [IRRLICHT FAMILIAR ARTIST NEEDED]

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

It's true that graphics should not be a game's primary focus, but the thing is that nowadays if people don't see next-generation graphics or a distinctive graphical style you're going to have to come up with some damn addictive gameplay to keep them interested

So intentionally going for crappy graphics is not a good strategy IMO, I can see where you are coming from, but you could be crippling the success your own game
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

I'm not sure he was meaning that, his primary focus is on code and I think it's a logical progression.

You need to have "mecanics" working before thinking about graphics.

If there would be a game (I mean a game that would be on sale), there would be a budget for this, and then you would have the assets that goes with it and the extras...

No budget, and the people do what they can... And I'm really impressed that they actually can do something!

shadowslair, your're absolutely right, I was testing the joint bending, and done the pose really quick... The hands should be on the opposite side! :D
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

okay so the character mechanics model is going along "well" actually i am very happy with it.

however since i was delayed by three days because of great Western tradition Eester day and my old friend came to visit.

today i have to reimplement a small system, shouldn't take too long, but one component of the mechanics model didn't use predictive velocity projection to do collision response (i'm building the dyanamics from ground up) and so there was jitter. however it should work better with 0 jitter when i am done implementing the predictive velocity raycast.

:P but don't worry. i didn't bail out on you guys, i have just been very very busy and too much to do and so little time. well good morning or night whichever it is and back to work. goodlater.

christian i am almost done writing the "glue" classes to integrate irrlichts skinned models and bullet constraint ragdoll so i can put in your model.

thank you everyone. sorry for the delay i will try to announce asa my project is in announcable quality.

EDIT:

:shock: finally im done... gosh... who knew implementing something as deceivingly simple as ray cast detection at an optimized manner would be so hard... but well that is done now.. all motion is super smooth.. well except for climbing up stairs, however that too will be resolved when i implement the "compression" and "depression" of the character legs height. it is just hte height of the legs changing is what it is, and it is also appliable to arms or anything for that matter, you can actually make a someone with three legs or whatever. matter of fact, when i finish putting in the angular transform solver it [should] be as robust a system to double as a vehicle solver.

now i just need to rig the model, finish coding the ragdoll and physics mode switch then it will be icecream and great western show fringe.

EDIT: a snapshot, the white box in the middle is pyer center, the highest is head, two lower legs and two middle arms, you can rotate the arms and the arms have the same effect of "pushing" as the legs do but i had it disabled for this steep slope test because they kept knocking me off since i dont have the limb compression in place quite yet

i know not greatest graphics, but you forget about that in first few minutes, actually very fun (for me at least) to mess around with the player and platform physics)
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

:shock: i forgot to get the player limbs absolute position and set the local to the globally skinned mesh, so i got free nightmare fuel

EDIT:

while we all wait for my brain to figure out how to properly set rotations according to the character limb transforms.. enjoy these screenis of my trying to do a little quick obstable course i made.

first person view, with a camera "head" independent swivel

looking to my left as i am riding up an elevator platform near the obstalcle course "towers"

caught in mid jump

Last edited by ChaiRuiPeng on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

You should post your first img in the glitch thread :P
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

small announcement folks of irrlicht forums. three days until may 3rd :)
the game will not be finished by that time obviously. however there is a good chance instead i will release a small demo ready for more intensive bug testing by the community by then. i should have most of the player mechanics ready by then, however this weekend a am taking a break from that and refining the gui system a bit. i might also try and see how i begin to implement some ideas for priority and sleep, tik based logicGameObject execution system.

now, i want the project to remain closed source, since i want to sell it (i would like to give it away for free, but i have to eat, too :wink: ) however if i know you well from the forum and you want to check out the source code just go ahead and send me a pm. also a while _if_ i get any money from it then i will release the source. but if it is just a big failure and noone buys it i will just release source code right away.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

If you have time, you could show us a video on Youtube, that would be nice...
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

yes of course. i will get one up as soon as i have time.

sorry for the wait forum people. i have been very busy and not too much time ( read: 0 ) for programming, trying to find a [edit]well paying[/edit] job before school is out and all... so hard..

but i found one.. so now just final week of schooling then job and working in summer, and hopfully lots time for game programming! :D
ChaiRuiPeng

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

this project is not dead. i have had like zero time to work on it since last posted :( :(

also stupid driver instructor... was taking my license test and a truck tried to cut me off at a four way stop... instructor wasn't looking for some reason and thought it was my fault!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: have to go back in another day because she failed me "Instant failure: Hazardous action"

technically i have been driving for two years, although without a license, but decided to be on the laws side... :evil: guess that will have to wait.

ghhhaadd i swear i will try to squeeze in a little time to make a video.. :(