Biology project

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Iyad

Biology project

Post by Iyad »

Hi everyone!
As part of our biology class, we have to make an experiment and a research on a chosen topic. We took as subject the human memory, and we had the idea to make our analyses on computer (since we have to get alot of testers).

How does it work?
Simply download the application, run it and follow the instructions. The total test takes about 5-15 min. to complete. When finished, wait about a minute and you can delete the app (this is because the program is connecting with a smtp server and sending the results by email).
Here are some screenshots :
Image Image

How do you prevent us to make the test thousands of time?
You can run the test as much as you want, but you send your ip adress to our email account, and we take only the results of your first test. Still, make as good as you can. Our experiment results depend on you and everyone who run this program.

I tried to make this application the more accessible as I can with the time I had, but it only works on windows (since I use win32 lib). It was compiled and working fine on windows 7 64bits, intel i5 and opengl 1.2. Also, there may be some bugs, I didnt tested it alot, so post them there if you spot some. Actual known bugs for version 1.0.0 :
-In test 2, sometimes you cant press the button and leads you to fail the test, you can still retry it.
-(Not a bug) The application requires open email relaying. If you are connected to a local server, the smtp server may prevent you from sending the results.

Since our school is french, the initial project was in french. But we need alot of testers (we expect about 1000~2000 different results) so an english version was made. To download the program, follow the link :
For the english version : http://www.box.net/shared/lrg902s8f8 (8mb)
For the english compressed version (slow connections) : http://www.box.net/shared/bipl3lcbvp (5.3mb)
For the french version : http://www.box.net/shared/y541nr1orv (8mb)
For the french compressed version (slow connections) : http://www.box.net/shared/a17lh78m0c (5.3mb)

What can i do more for the project?
Please, spread this program (I dont want it to be viral, I only want it to collect results: the more results we have, to more our experiment will be conclusive.)

What about the source code?
I will publish the source code in this topic at the end of our research, we dont want to get corrupted datas from modified executables.
I will now be checking out my email each day to collect the results.

Thanks alot for your comprehension, time and comments.

Iyad.
Last edited by Iyad on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#include <Iyad.h>
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

you can still release the source code using leaving destination IP blank. so user can send data only using the original application. Relesing it opensource will encourage people using it a lot ;-)
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

you can still release the source code using leaving destination IP blank. so user can send data only using the original application. Relesing it opensource will encourage people using it a lot
Even if I let the destination IP blank, if another compiled version circulates through the internet, I may never get results.

Common guys... There are not many people who tested this, i expected much more from you... Its just a 5 minutes test!
REDDemon, did you even tried it before asking for the source?
#include <Iyad.h>
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

at one point I was clicking those circles (where the timer bar appears) while memorising, then it finished and I still clicked and must have clicked the X so it skipped the part where you input the words...

Then I got bored and quit :S
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

Iyad wrote:
you can still release the source code using leaving destination IP blank. so user can send data only using the original application. Relesing it opensource will encourage people using it a lot
Even if I let the destination IP blank, if another compiled version circulates through the internet, I may never get results.

Common guys... There are not many people who tested this, i expected much more from you... Its just a 5 minutes test!
REDDemon, did you even tried it before asking for the source?
I'll reverse you the question, why have I to try that if the source is not available? :)

There is a guy that had this idea of running test on a dedicated thread:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... highlight=

I tried to post a simple and clean and opensource test wich were runned only by 7 people. (not so much. and much of thanks to them).

If only 7 people would run a opensource test, do you think more people will run a closed source test?

If you don't want to people make similiar executables running on the net just add a license statemente "you must not use this code until 25/12/2013."
Last edited by REDDemon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

REDDemon wrote: I tried to post a simple and clean and opensource test wich were runned only by 7 people. (not so much. and much of thanks to them).
That's cos you didn't provide an executable, much more people would have tried it that way :wink:
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

ent1ty wrote:
REDDemon wrote: I tried to post a simple and clean and opensource test wich were runned only by 7 people. (not so much. and much of thanks to them).
That's cos you didn't provide an executable, much more people would have tried it that way :wink:
You are certainly true :). Maybe more pepole will run the biology school project ;-)
- by Me
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

I'll reverse you the question, why have I to try that if the source is not available?
I will re-reverse you the question. Why would you want the source code of a program that you did not even tryed? :D
Then I got bored and quit :S
Ah common man... You made the biggest part, there was a little part after that were you only had to draw up some images... Anyways, thanks for trying.
Maybe more pepole will run the biology school project
I hope!
Last edited by Iyad on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
#include <Iyad.h>
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

I tried this to, though I gave up on the first test. I memorized about 10~ first words and then I started to forget them as more words came so I closed the app :oops:

Maybe I'll try it again later.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

I memorized about 10~ first words and then I started to forget them as more words came so I closed the app
You must memorize the more you can, not all! :lol: The goal of this test is to verify if the short term memory is dynamic (like an array!), the results we expect is that brain memorize mostly the first words and the last words, and pop_back the middle words; or if you prefer the brain will push_back the last words, and transfert the first words to the long term memory. Like I said, simply make the best you can.
Thanks for your interest.
#include <Iyad.h>
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Iyad wrote:
I memorized about 10~ first words and then I started to forget them as more words came so I closed the app
You must memorize the more you can, not all! :lol:
I knew that, but I just could not get myself to continue on doing this test :D

I'll retry later.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
hayate

Post by hayate »

Iyad wrote:
I'll reverse you the question, why have I to try that if the source is not available?
I will re-reverse you the question. Why would you want the source code of a program that you did not even tryed? :D
:shock:
Because that way he knows it doesn't contain any malicious code, maybe?
Sorry for my awful english ^_^'
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

Iyad wrote:Why would you want the source code of a program that you did not even tryed?
:shock:

Because serious scientific research is comprehensible. Your university really should teach you how to do it properly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaedeutics

Oh, and what hayate said.
"Whoops..."
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Don't know if you all in here are that much aware of correct terms and techniques for scientific surveys. But IMHO, it would ruin the results if you let the testees train or research the tested area before the actual test. Well, at least you'd query pretty different things then. And to me it sounds hilarious if you really want say that you never start a tool without revieweing the full source code first.
So why not just accepting the tool as is, and either do the test or ignore it?
BTW: Is this an Irrlicht project at all?
Iyad

Post by Iyad »

There is no malicious code in there, I have no interested in doing this; I provided some images to prove you that it is a serious project and if it was if it was a virus, probably that someone from the forum would had already reported it. If you dont trust me, scan the file on a anti-virus or simply don't download it.
And to me it sounds hilarious if you really want say that you never start a tool without revieweing the full source code first.
I second Hybrid on this.
Because serious scientific research is comprehensible. Your university really should teach you how to do it properly.
Ok randomMesh... it is only a small college project, it has nothing serious and we don't expect discovering something from this. Still, could you tell me what am I doing wrong in this research? I don't think I understood what you tried to tell me in your last post.

And yes this is using Irrlicht for rendering, it was statically linked. Hybrid I understand that you ask this question, if you need to check out the code pm me.
#include <Iyad.h>