Simple SpaceSim

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Morganolla

Simple SpaceSim

Post by Morganolla »

Hi guys. I'm beginner in Irrl... :) So I try to make a simple demo of a real space physics simulator. Well, here you will find a little ship and big asteroid. You can fly around asteroid and land on it. All control of ship and camera in readme_.txt. Enjoy... :)
http://irrla.narod2.ru/MyGame/Demo_.rar

Screens:

Last edited by Morganolla on Tue May 03, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

while i wait for it to download.. :)

one time i made a little prototype in blender, with full spherical gravity, back when i was a newby, still am :P

(downloaded and played)

nice :D i like your scale and how as you go out into "outer space" the star you were closest to sort of "blends in" with the other stars in the star field.

maybe you could add a randomly generated stars? :wink: maybe have infinite and add more planets and gravity to the stars? :D ahah im getting carried away, i love space flight.
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
Morganolla

Post by Morganolla »

Yes, stars (skybox) are generating by random - I think it's more interesting than textures. Also, I use Bullet physics to realise real inertial physics. For Bullet I made my own simple retranslator of body's "trans" matrixes from bullet to irrla... And also, I little bit reconstructed irrlicht particle system for jets of engines :)
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

This was.. kind of.. perfect :)

Graphics(I know it's Irrlichts basic) - Perfect. If only the asteroid casted shadow too. Apparently, in space kind of games fixed function rendering is quite sufficient.

Gameplay - Awesome. I was only missing some functions as auto stop rotating ship, I found it quite hard to stop rotating it :wink: Also, I like the stars a lot(Just a thought here - they are all stars, not just the big yellow one in the middle, right? So maybe add the halo that the big star in the middle had to the stars that are withing a limit?). Oh, and what I was missing most of all, was some planet I could practice landing/taking off on. Btw love how the asteroid had gravity too.

Oh an, P.S.: next time, please pack the whole stuff into one folder first and then add it into archive. Makes it easier for us :wink:
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

does this work also when moving very far from the origin? :)
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

I should think so... though if you move very far, some precision errors will most likely occur.

Btw, you should call the first screenshot: "Off to buy some chocolates" :D
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Morganolla

Post by Morganolla »

REDDemon wrote:does this work also when moving very far from the origin? :)
ent1ty wrote:I should think so... though if you move very far, some precision errors will most likely occur.
Well, correct far space realisation I will make in my next project. I know how to do it . :)
ent1ty wrote: Btw, you should call the first screenshot: "Off to buy some chocolates" :D
Good joke! I think astronauts were very hungry and have decided to depart to a chocolate asteroid to eat :)
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

hey if you want i have some space themed planet and ship models buried in my hard drive from my blender glory days :D let me see if i can find them. you can have them if you want, although their not the best art... :P
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
Morganolla

Post by Morganolla »

ChaiRuiPeng -Thanks , I'll think
Now I download new Demo_ (at the topic) with landing sound of the ship. I made CollisionCallBack from Bullet and add landing sound. Bullet physics permit you to move and rotate asteroid, when ship has landed and ship's engines switched on. If you landing at the thin edge of asteroid, it begin rotate faster because torque from ship engines is greater...
Morganolla

Post by Morganolla »

I try to make Atmosphere scattering in Irrlicht engine- video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3g_xAL7ia0
Last edited by Morganolla on Thu May 19, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morganolla

Post by Morganolla »

Enhanced Atm. scattering ver.2 - video -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn21oym5jo0
Demo (release.exe 1mb) - http://irrla.narod2.ru/MyGame/Oreol_v002.rar
Flight control - as camera FPS.
Luben

Post by Luben »

Much better looking than the first version :) Nice!
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
nathanf534

Post by nathanf534 »

How are you making the blue stuff that turns it? It looks really nice.
while(signatureEmpty){cout<<wittyComment();}
Morganolla

Post by Morganolla »

Thanks. Well, I just make a custom SceneNode (like tut#3) without any shaders :). Now I debug this class... for future using...

Morganolla

Post by Morganolla »

Example for fun - flight to Mars, video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzKJ-vZabus