GTA world loader

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
loki1985

GTA world loader

Post by loki1985 »

Hi guys.

i finally found the time to finish porting my GTA world loader to 1.7.2 and releasing it.

Previous versions where found in this thread:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=30439
But i decided to create a new thread, because the thread title really does not fit anymore.

Changes since last relased version:
- lots of bugfixes
- objects are correctly rotated now
- objects with multiple frames look much better now (only last frame is used)
- no more external library needed as i integrated 3rd-party S3TC code (BSD).

Screenshot:
(Water and sky were integrated for screenshot purposes only, the release does not contain them)

Download:
http://b66883.com/projects/gtalight/gta ... 110505.zip
(Source for irrlicht 1.7.2 + windows binary)

Usage:
Run main.exe with path of GTA3/VC/SA as parameter, like this:
main.exe C:\Games\GTA3

I think i finally have reached a state (world objects are rendered fine, no more distortions) where i can successfully abandon the project, without being drawn back to it every few months.... So i release it, maybe it will be of some help or amusement to someone. It sure was an excellent learning experience for me.

I think (hope, actually) i will not work much more on this. But i will be happy to answer any questions regarding the topic.

The big remaining problem: I did not implement a working LOD system. By configuring main.h and recompiling, the user can switch between low-LOD and high-LOD mode. I am still not sure how to distinguish between low-LOD meshes and normal meshes. At least the 2 methods i know don't work in all cases.

// EDIT: forgot to mention: loading the entire game map at once is brutal on memory (1 gig for GTA3, maybe 1.5 for GTAVC, dunno how much for GTASA) and results in low FPS. temporarily deleting folders in data/maps helps showing only parts of the world.
Last edited by loki1985 on Thu May 05, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

This looks impressive, awesome job :D
LizardGamer

Post by LizardGamer »

OMG, this is very good for what I wanted to do!

This is great!!!!! :D Big Hug for you

But first can this be used on Linux or Mac?
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

LizardGamer wrote:But first can this be used on Linux or Mac?
did not try it, but it should work fine. there are no windows-specific things going on in the code.
Innesoft

Post by Innesoft »

Impressive stuff, will give this a try later.
deepMesh v1.2 - Irrlicht powered 3D Modeler, Animator, UVMapper, Lightmapper
The Software Marketplace - Latest software deals on Games, Applications and Developer Tools
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

You did it very fast. I remember your posts of few months ago in wich you were speaking about that project. Very good. I'll take a look immediatly.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
CEQC

Post by CEQC »

Amazing work!

Since I'm equipped with 8GB, memory usage shouldn't be a problem for my machine. Loading GTAIII works really great, what you did is really amazing and I wouldn't have thought this to be possible.

But, when trying to load GTA:SA, the application crashes after a few minutes (after about 1.8GB of memory have been used). Can anyone confirm this problem?
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

@REDDemon: not very fast. actually i started the project in 2007. often i stopped working on the code for months, even a year one time, and continued after that.

@CEQC: i never tried loading GTASA completely. try this: first recompile with "LOWDETAIL_MESHES_ONLY true" and "HIDETAIL_MESHES_ONLY false" in main.h, this should work. after that, try high detail, but only with a part of the map by deleting subdirs from data/maps.