Maya and B3D Models

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
g0bl1n

Maya and B3D Models

Post by g0bl1n »

Hey all, I have a model that is fully rigged and boned (or at least that is what it says from where I downloaded it). I want to put this model into a B3D format so I can put it into CharacterFx and animate it. But the problem is that the model is in a maya format. I have Maya and 3ds max at my disposal, although I do not have much experience with 3ds max and I have no experience with Maya. So I was hoping someone could walk me through how to do this? Or better yet if someone wouldn't mind doing it for me (the getting to B3D format) I would be eternally grateful!!! But in any case just thought I'd ask!

Goblin
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Hi! Try searching for Maya b3d exporter plugin. This popped up, but looks old: http://www.bcchang.com/immersive/b3d/index.php . Never used Maya though. The 3ds max exporter is the Blitz3dPipeline, but the last version it is available for is 3ds max 9 IIRC.
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Isoprog

Post by Isoprog »

Hi,
If its extension is .mb then you can open it in maya and export it as .obj. CFX can import .obj I think.

Regards
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

@Isoprog: Unfortunately .obj doesn`t support any animation, hence he cannot import it rigged. For static meshes there are many options.
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Isoprog

Post by Isoprog »

Sorry, I thought he will rig and animate it in CFX.

Regards
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

@g0bl1n: Why don`t you make your life easier and skip the characterFx part and animate it directly in Maya/Max and export to .b3d/.x or some other format?
g0bl1n

Post by g0bl1n »

I really just have no idea how to use Maya, but if that is easier maybe I shall try and learn how to use it. But now the question is where to start, I have two files (a .ma and a .mb). So I open each of them and notice that I do not see any bones. So I looked around for a viewing option just to make sure they were not hidden, sure enough IK Bones are being shown. The file was made with Maya 8 it says, while the version at my disposal is Maya 2012. Maybe I should find a computer with Maya 8 on it and see if that shows any bones? Or is there something I'm missing?

EDIT:
So I rigged the model myself, however I cannot figure out how to animate. I have it set to auto key, and I figured I could set key frames and animate by moving the bones. But I keep getting "// Warning: No objects selected to set keys". So I select all objects and set a key frame. Then I move a joint and none of the objects stick to their bones. If I undo the select all and key frame I can move the character's limbs with their bones perfectly fine. It's kind of frustrating, I'm a programmer not a modeler/animator damnit... So if someone can tell me what I've done wrong, please do so! Here is my current scene.