Cant get irrlicht to work

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
voodoochild850

Cant get irrlicht to work

Post by voodoochild850 »

im trying to setup the irrlicht engine with devc++
i tried setting up the likers and everything the tutorial at http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut_devcpp.html
said, but i just get compiler errors.
also is there anything different I have to do to set it up specifically for direct3d? my graphics card doesnt do opengl.
RageD

Post by RageD »

What compiler errors do you get? Without them, it's nearly impossible to tell what's going wrong.

In any case, if you're using the prebuilt SDK, I think that directx has already been compiled in, so you should be able to use that driver straight away.

But moreover, I would highly recommend switching to a different compiler. Dev-C++ is outdated. I use MSVC (google Microsoft Visual C++ Express) which is free and arguably the best modern compiler (I don't want to start a war - I love my *nix box and its gcc :wink: I'm just talking based on optimizations and executable sizes, etc.), but Code::Blocks is another nice IDE.

But if the IDE's linker settings aren't working for you, you can try this (at the top of main):

Code: Select all

#pragma comment(lib, "./path/to/Irrlicht.lib")
-RageD
DuF = (del)F.u
Microsonic Development
voodoochild850

Post by voodoochild850 »

yeah im not sure but i think its not linking like it should. im going to try with mvc++, i just never really liked it, feels to cluttered for me
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

voodoochild850 wrote:yeah im not sure but i think its not linking like it should. im going to try with mvc++, i just never really liked it, feels to cluttered for me
You can also try code::blocks, eclipse, netbeans.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).