The libRocket GUI library

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
serengeor

Re: The libRocket GUI library

Post by serengeor »

I'll try that later. I'm good with irrlicht's gui for now.
If you can you could post your implementation to irrlicht's code snippets forum. I'm sure some users might find it useful ;)
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
sudi

Post by sudi »

In case someone is interessted. I managed to make it work without modifying irrlicht at all.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Sudi wrote:In case someone is interessted. I managed to make it work without modifying irrlicht at all.
Post it in code snippets. As I said, someone might find it useful ;)
lymantok

Post by lymantok »

Hi Sudi,

I'd be interested. Can you elaborate or post your example w/librocket working in Irrlicht please.

Thx!
sudi

Post by sudi »

We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

@Sudi: This might be off-topic, but I just love your signature :D So much truth in so little text
lymantok

Post by lymantok »

Sudi, thanks very much for sharing!!! This demo worked great!
Luiz

Post by Luiz »

Realy cool !

@Sudi : thank you for sharing, I can now forget everything about cegui :)
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

i dont want to be a preacher.. but you guys should think about using berkelium+jsLINB
shadowghost21

Post by shadowghost21 »

Personally if you were to write your own gui (as I have also been thinking about) I would output the format file in XML. It's 'easy' to read and edit by hand if need be. And if you made the designer in C# XML is easy to output. I found a little lacking with the 2d system in irrlicht myself, such as a lack of animation (at least from what I found) also everything has to be done in photoshop, and while I can make some pretty nice graphics, it just takes me a long time. I probably spent over 4 hours designing a button and getting the lighting write. I personally would rather have my 3d guy (my brother) put some objects together and render with some shaders to do some really nice effects, but that is just my 2 cents.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

with the irrlicht GUI. can one make either an invisible button where a texture is or a texture that functions like a button?
Same with simmilar GUI elements.

for example. checkboxes have a texture for off one for being clicked and one for on. <----actually same for button textures.

and last but not least scrollbars and other misc. GUI controls.

is it possible?
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

aaammmsterdddam wrote:with the irrlicht GUI. can one make either an invisible button where a texture is or a texture that functions like a button?
Same with simmilar GUI elements.

for example. checkboxes have a texture for off one for being clicked and one for on. <----actually same for button textures.

and last but not least scrollbars and other misc. GUI controls.

is it possible?
Maybe
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

thanks for the information serengeor!
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
Violence

Post by Violence »

I've found a bug in Irrlicht Rocket Renderer. If you place element with "overflow: auto" or "overflow: scroll" and input with type = "text" or "password" then you will get something like this:
(notice the text is rendered under the input element, really strange)

And this is how it should look (basic/directx sample from the Rocket SDK):

I've tested this with <body> and <div> elements. Both cases this bug triggered.
This bug also triggers if elements are placed in separate documents.

If <input> element is placed within "overflow:auto" element, there is no bug at all:
But if <input> has "position:absolute" style, then the bug returns.

Windows Visual Studio 2010 compiled DirectX sample and libRocketTest (I've modified it so you can move the mouse cursor now) using the same resources:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cdynvqx2k9duz3z

Placing elements in such order is essential when making a chat box. I think it might be a bug of Irrlicht Rocket Renderer. How can we fix this bug?
Violence

Post by Violence »

The error is in SetScissorRegion() and EnableScissorRegion() functions.
I modified my OpenGL Irrlicht Driver like said on previous page and now it works flawlessly.
though it would be better to not having to modify Irrlicht files and just fix those functions -- help needed