Higher Level Layers available ?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
HerrAlmanack

Re: Higher Level Layers available ?

Post by HerrAlmanack »

irrlicht has some level editors and stuff, also I think some AI things that use lots of visual elements. you could check those out to see the engines capabilities :)

personally I don't want irrlicht ITSELF become the 3d Game Maker. It takes a while to get used to all the low level stuff but it is really worth it performance and flexibility wise. :D

anyways, it IS open source, and zlib too! one of best licenses! :D there's nothing to stop maybe you and some of your programming pals to create a more beginner friendly API, for those who are just starting out with c++.

i think i saw one time a thread very similar to what you have in mind, let me see if i can dig it up
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

You should realize that irrlicht already has one of the easiest APIs out there without sacrificing features or compatibility, if the API is too hard for someone they should study their C++ some more, dumbing down irrlicht just for those who can't handle the current would not be a good idea

Irrlicht is not an educational library which assumes its users are still learning the language, irrlicht is a library suited for people who know what they're doing and it's up to the user to understand the language they're using
lazerblade

Post by lazerblade »

Radikalizm wrote:You should realize that irrlicht already has one of the easiest APIs out there without sacrificing features or compatibility, if the API is too hard for someone they should study their C++ some more, dumbing down irrlicht just for those who can't handle the current would not be a good idea

Irrlicht is not an educational library which assumes its users are still learning the language, irrlicht is a library suited for people who know what they're doing and it's up to the user to understand the language they're using
Amen.

I personally agree that Irrlicht has an extremely simple API, especially for the power and flexibility it still maintains. The only thing you could do to make it simpler would be to ship it with a giant zip file full of the code snippets and projects that have been posted here. That way you would get physics, effects, etc. That could quickly become cumbersome however, and I still prefer it the way it is.
LazerBlade

When your mind is racing, make sure it's not racing in a circle.

3d game engine: http://sites.google.com/site/lazerbladegames/home/ray3d
lazerBlade blog: http://lazerbladegames.blogspot.com/
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

You can make a game maker with irrlicht. No one will prevent you from doing this XD.
I personally like the design of irrlicht (criticized by many peoples who simply didn't asked to themselves "What is the goal aimed by Irrlicht Developers?")

There are good projects done with irrlicht wich allows you to make simple games (andres' IrrRPG is one of them).

I disagree from you lazerblad.

I think that every developer should be responsible for maintaing its own snippets folder. Simply because everyone manages their projects and organizes things in different ways. A complete index of all available snippets is instead very wellcome.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

There's an RPG maker for Irrlicht. And there's some frameworks too. Search for irrlicht frameworks on the forum and you'll probably find a few.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

if you have ever used any other 3D libraries at all, irrlicht is the easiest among all. I couldn't ask for more.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

As a grpahics artist and half time programmer I must say I have worked with a lot of graphics and game engines. The likes of CryEngine, Unreal, Real Virtuality etc but there's just something unique about Irrlicht which I don't find in any of the others. I don't really know what it is, Simplicity, low level access, ease of use, adaptability, the friendly users? Or the sort of natural backyard project, old school programming/engineering style it has. I just love it.