The overambitious, doomed project - (screenshots on page2)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
kmh

The overambitious, doomed project - (screenshots on page2)

Post by kmh »

Just a quick edit, added screenshots of the last version (techdemo basically) in a reply on page2 of this thread.

Hi,

I realise that most of you (the programmers out here) will probably reply to this with one of those "forget it, mmorpg's never work out" messages. So to clarify this, before I continue: I'm (a) an adult, (b) student of computer science and (c) programmed lots of smaller games before, projects that I actually finished. Having a slight sense of realism, though, I don't want to try writing a rpg game all alone.
At this stage I have written a basic framework for an MMORPG, both server and client with character classes, player/entity handling, 3d graphics, terrain node, multiplayer support and a simple gui for chatting. Scripted AI is implemented, too, although at this stage all the AI entities do is walk in circles ;)
I used the plib http://plib.sourceforge.net library to create this framework, but irrlicht seems like a better alternative at this stage, so I think we should swap to that, I'm more than happy, though, to "donate" the framework I've written, as a basis from which we could move on.
I'm thinking in small steps there, the first things to do would be:

(a) Transfer the game to a more sensible library (irrlicht or CrystalSpace)
(b) Simplify some of the entity handling classes I've used and create a stable frame on which the game be built on
(c) Start working on the actual game (sometime in Spring 2005) in slow steps

About the actual game. This is the point where I start dreaming, but I hope you'll get a bit of an idea what I'm aiming at:

A world so huge and realistic, that you need lots of NPC's to make it look busy. Characters with realistic pathing, professions and dialogues. Peasants, farmers, woman and children, bankers, thiefs and similar things, so the world isn't dominated by powerful magicians and expert crafters only.

Politics: There will be various political models all over that planet, democracies and realms for kings to be conquered. The game just offers templates, the players will have to find their own ways to organise the country. People can start kingdoms, throw over Kings and have other political systems, throw these over again and again .. social interaction and charisma are skills the player himself needs, no game for 11 year olds.

The game will cover various aspects to make it different from the classical RPG kind of game. It won't be all about killing each other, if there is a murder, it will be treated as murder, if you're dead, you're dead*, killing each other should be a big exception. (*although we could think of a way how dead people could be resurrected either by the help of their living friends of by completing some challenges in the underworld)

Players create cities, players create artefacts, players will trade and players will talk. There will be lots of skills that aren't good for anything but for the R in RPG, such as playing the fiddle, singing songs, dancing and laughing.

The game will create friendships and communities, there will be peace and laughter, it won't be dominated by war and fighting.

Adventures won't happen twice, if I kill the Lord of Light, you can't kill him, too. If you find the rare artifact, you have it and I won't find it there ..

Magic isn't for everybody, actually magic is rare and only few people will manage to be magicians. Teleporting is high-end magic, and if you need to travel from one end of the world to another, you have a problem.

There will be mounts, all sorts of mounts, horses and wagons, in some regions their may be flying mounts, ships, camels etc.

Races: Races will speak different languages, next to the one global language (actually that's easier to implement than it sounds). Different races have different skills, different people different characters. You can't choose exactly how you want to be, you can choose some general aspects of you character, but you might have to live with some strange aspects of your character, too.

Stop dreaming at this stage...

There is much more to this, but I think this should give you a general idea. Well, if anyone is interested in joining me, do let me know! There is plenty of need for discussion, but I'm sure we can make it happen. I'll give you more info, if you have any questions. Oh, the game should be free, not necessarily open source, though.
Last edited by kmh on Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bal

Post by bal »

This looks 'absolutely fabulous'. Good luck with your project and don't hold back asking questions, we're here to help :).
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
jikbar

Post by jikbar »

this is the game ive been dreaming of all my life :shock:

id kill to help make this game a reality. Once im done the game im currently working on, i think il have enough RPG experience to be able to help work on (some) code if your interested...

NEVER abandon this project! but if you do, id like to see the source

Good luck!
Harry_Mystic

Post by Harry_Mystic »

Sounds good, seems that you have planed on it deeply and for long time. MMORPG is not bad, it is a game that you can play with/against other people and that makes a game more interesting than playing alone.
After a first look on your plan I see few thinks that maybe will be a problem:
The game will create friendships and communities, there will be peace and laughter, it won't be dominated by war and fighting.
IMO, if you want a popular game you need a lot of fights. For most players it is more interesting slaying monsters than milking cows (if you are a farmer :wink:). I know, it is an extreme example but when you play a game you want to escape from routine and fighting against imaginary enemys it's something more interesting than doing some "jobs". (Idea: what about clan wars?)

Adventures won't happen twice, if I kill the Lord of Light, you can't kill him, too. If you find the rare artifact, you have it and I won't find it there ..
Huh! you will need a lot of quests. Think about some thousand players (dreamin :D ) playing the game. Each player can accomplish a couple of hundreds quests, how many quests do you need? Sure, you can have quests that takes a long time to get finished or constantly add new ones, but 1st are for most players boring and 2nd is realy difficult without repeating the same stories again and again. Maybe you have a plan for that.

...we could think of a way how dead people could be resurrected either by the help of their living friends of by completing some challenges in the underworld
Nice idea!

Anyway, these are just some thoughts, give it a try. I don't know if I will be able to help, I'm just "playing around" with Irrlicht and Blender just for fun and I have not a lot of free time. But I'm sure you will find here people willing to help.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

MO, if you want a popular game you need a lot of fights. For most players it is more interesting slaying monsters than milking cows (if you are a farmer ). I know, it is an extreme example but when you play a game you want to escape from routine and fighting against imaginary enemys it's something more interesting than doing some "jobs". (Idea: what about clan wars?)
Try telling that to the entire MUD community. They thrive on things like that. Sure, combat is an integral part of RPG but it shouldn't be ALL there is. To making it a valid, believable reality you need to have 'everyday' stuff in there to.

The whole concept is a fantastic idea though and I'll happily help in anyway I can when there's a more concrete schedule of work up.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

all time fighting is quite boring....

Your idea is simply great :)

Trust me, ppl, is thousands more inmersive what he speaks about than a diablo2 in 3d, which is what I am seeing all the time in 3d rol games...heck, what has happened with the real magic of it...

Complex AI, and building your world, your character, more life like situations...that's imho the perfect game.

I really, really like that type of game. Unluckily, comitted to do artwork to many other projects. I need the money...

But if...I see it in an advanced stage (when there's actually a game, I'm tired of work for projects that end dying) I may help a bit. specially with concept art for races.(Is where I excell really, though I do anything of artwork in a game. )

I wont lie you. I see it too ambitious, but as you stated is how it should be done. I wouldn't remove a comma.

The prob is u need an army of 2d/3d artist, u can't magine the load of work of doing all those characters...true is one thing : In most 3d packages (even Blender) u only need to animate once, as u share the animations later. "Only" asigning the skeleton, and creating the meshes is needed. And in most cases, just u create 7 or 8 meshes (Counting on male/female human/creatures. as a start, at least) as later on u go changing the textures (skins)

Usually, those meshes should be low res modelling: u want surely to be able to see a complex world and sometimes scenes like a party. Of course, there's lod and that, but i suppose a reasonable polygon count is good there.

I mean, there are tricks. Even though, a huge load of work.

And....yep, you got it right,,,people tend to think it'll never see the light.,For example, u announce it now, but the game wont start till spring 2005...that will make most artists step back. (funnily, with some luck by then I'll be partially free)

Other thing is...don't get sad if no artist join at ur call now. First, this is by no means an artists forums. It lacks strongly on that, while the ppl is really gentle, that makes it comfortable even for a lone artist here ;)

Secondly, we artists are tired of see mmorpgs or rpgs born and die even not in a day but 3 posts later...and that's not the feared thing...but when u do 3 animated and texture races (a LOAD of work) and the project dies then. U get *very* angry...

But good news is that...when an artist see an RPG fully working, even if it's using place holder graphics, houses are cubes, the poor coder guy grabbed an md2 (please, don't use that, use *.x ;) ) from polycount, terrain is crap, trees are cones, etc....but it works, it has the inventory, it has the ai, path finding, it's a game, just needed a "new paint" all over it...is IDEAL for asrtists...tehre's a load of em that so much love the medieval like (i hope we're talking bout that environment) characters, nordic mythology and all...

Additionally, if u get a kickass artist (like kickass concept artist, hehe) U mount a site but with real taste, inmersive site or at least, trying not to do the arial 35 in bold, huge scroll bars frames and say hey I'm 15 and doing a mmorpg, well, the showing of some great art in some point , use to do snowballing, and artists think the project must be good to have attracted that guy ;) Is our first clue. Artists don't look that much at othe rthings than that and if it looks professional, if it has been there quite a time, if it gets updates at elast a month or so...etc.

A good tip :

Blender people is quite voluntarious, they like these type of worlds more than usual 3d artists, they're generous people in its huge majority, they're usually gentle recieving people. I see many doing non profit projects. For the main Blender philosophy, working for fun fits them way more than perhaps Max or Maya people.

If you at some point (posting this exact paragraphs u posted to start the thread.) you announce it to see if artists at Blender comunity get engaged with it, I'd rather advice to do in Elysiun, not Blender.org. As that last is the oficial one, only for developing Blender, mainly.

And even at Elysiun...you have several options (but never double post, post just in one section, one thread.) NEws and Chat forum at elysiun is very crowded, but too much desire to fight there, if someone wanna start a fight, it may ruin your thread. Putting stuff as u did, politely and realistically, well, that exact announce, should not bring wars. perhaps so it cathces the bigger audience. Most blender people focus in a section, but news and chat is more common. perhaps more frequeneted.

You're more likely to find people that knows the deal of modelling for real time 3d games, in the Game Engine section. Why? they code for Blender Game engine .It's very low in performace, and can't do many of the stuff that Irrlicht can do. But OF COURSE, never, ever say so, or say, hey wouldn't you want to do your artwork for a more capable game engine...? They'r proud of it, and I respect that.

Just say the target engine is Irrlicht. Those a bit tired of game engine will join, or wanting more game power, or just that they want to work simultaneoulsy in 2 or 3 projects (frequent in Blender)

In Blender General I think it's for...a bit of all, too, but surely more for questions bout blender...U may post there, I dunno very well of the purpose of certain forums. Is more or less crowded.

Indeed...i think I'd definitely post in News and chat. yep. Load your self with patience (most Blender users have a load of patience, indeed, are ideal for long projects, loving more the proccess of it than the very final result. very different than a Max user...Damn it, looks like I'm defining a Blenderhead like if it were a hobbit, and that's far from it...! LOL )

So if a guy jumps with desires of fight, even if he calls u ugly, never, ever, loose ur nerves (it's easy after certain insults) probaly is much less risk than if u posted thi sat flipcode or gamedev (they'd probaly EAT you) , but...imho one of ur biggest hopes is some buddies (even if the huge % of em don't get interested, blender comunity has been able to kill servers, they're massive ;) ) ..fall in love with ur projects. As u have explianed, even thinking is a quimera, as u sounded realistically, some blender artists could perfectly take the risk. If I had an stable job and that typical situation, I'd take it. And I have been in all sorts of stuff, from a mod, indy games, AAA game companies, all u can imagine. So, there's hopes u find some guy/woman like this. A pair of artists could help u get it up and running, once there's seen something nice, other artist will join, sure. The difficult part is reach there.

Please, be selective. In that, i don't loose time really, I mean, I can help u only in that, is just seen some jpgs and saying if it worth that guy. Why I say this ? It may sound cruel, it may sound arrogant when u got nothing yet, but ur idea, ur skills, and what u already have and are able to do, is something u should not throw DIRECTLY to the bin for bad graphics. If u obtain a character per 2 weeks, is WAY better than 15 crap models with bad proportions in those 15 days. Trust me. There's nothing that makes another artists (and many gamers) run away scared than bad art....

I have aquired (and at a high price, don't u think I'm happy..) skills in every area of game art. I can tell u who would really worth to pick from the samples u may receive. SOme selection is done even in mods...ppl may think is strange, but imho is esential.

For example (never say this in Blender comunities) I have observed majority of Blender users (indeed, majority of any 3d package users) are quite good at designing, modelling buildings, objects, environments. But characters, human characters...u have to look for them with a loupe. I mean, good ones.

There are great ones I remember now. Sutabi (already aware of real time 3d game specs, and imho quite good, and he has a real sense of proportion and quality. he knows also uv mapping stuff in blender, and texturing. He has been involved in some project like this. Which could be bad, as usually is a dead path, and he may aware of it...)

Another, which is a high pro, working for PS games with Blender, is TorQ. Man if u grabbed a guy like one of these too for characters...

There are great animators like harkyman, but he's too involved in character animation improves (we need him to improve Blender ;) )

great general artists, that surely can do ANYTHING,(but beware, focused on high res rendering, they'd need some training in low, pol..if u know just one guy with low pol knowledge he'll show the way to the others) like the fantastic ENV....guys that are expert in machinery and cad like modelling (I just can't imagine the wonder of a Catapult modelled and textured by AllTaken...wow. )

Other genius like Andy, (dunno if it was @ndy)

JoOngle (he'd a strongly convinced (I think he's from Holland) Blender defender. he dreams with Blender getting in the top. The fact of using Blender as the tool for a game that can do good c++ based games, may attract him, if he has the time. He has a job and in his job he was able to convince boss to use blender. )

Well, many others . These are for sure freaking good. if u indeed could join this all, heck, I may even feel the need of joining , there's people that have amazed Cg Talk artists with their art, among those...

My main aim would be Sutabi, though. I have spoken to him once or too by Pm messages. He seems quite new to mid-low pol for games, but he seems to know it all by genetics or something! A really safe bet.

You may say I am writting too much, and too much about art.

I usually don't give a word for these posts, and just let em die, as I know how it all will end.

But I think THAT specific idea, that gameplay you thought abaout (don't let people convince u in other way) is terrific and really rare to find. Blender artists are also: friend of medieval fantasy, and likely to enjoy a type of game where tehre's an inmersive world, with more "life" , and less fights. they're much more of them in that boat, I think.

Even so, chances are u may also get zero response, or response from bad artists (pm me for getting in meail contact, so I can give u advice...never grab a bad artist for that project....) ...is th emost usual, so don't get sad if so. But imho in Blender comunity, Elysiun, is where u have by far more chances. U only have to be specially careful with human modellers , texturers and animators.(Sutabi is a safe bet, torQ too. ) The rest will most probably do well.

I would have NEVER posted this if I wouldn't think u have possibilities. Of course, I count on the typical stuff: u get tired in some weeks, u find no help, u get burnt, etc. But if there's one type of game I'd give courage to continue is this type.

Also, because u stated u have stuff done, quite a lot, u'r not too young ;) , etc.

But this type of game need a lot of art...and the key is ...it even has to be good art...don't mind if later on u use dirty tricks to make each artist hour count much mor e(like reusing animations and meshes just changing textures, etc) but the little or lot that is done, must be good.

May I sound crazy. I'm not. Indeed, is not because I have said it, but I think is a good advice ;)

Once u have some *big* stuff rolling, I wouldn't mind doing concept art (But I would *not* share the area with other concept artist I don't like people thinking I made the art of other guy/woman. Of course yep if other does buildings concept art, and/or another the machinery, items, objects. All this I speak hand drawn concept art, that stuff u put to make the site more attractive , ppl interested in game, and modeller witha clear idea what they gotta make. But I'd have to see a LOT more, practically a functional game rolling even with some md2/md3(u want find *.x, other than my dwarf(pure crap I made in some hours as a joke to friends, is included in irrlicht) and Psionic ones, u may deal with that for just ur code)) , some buidlings that could be well cubes, trees-cones, objects that can be plain spheres but where ppl see that that's meant to be certain item, and u have the inventory, etc. It may all look like random crap, but ppl need to see the game, and that the main problem then is "disguise" it, paint over it with graphics. Not that u need an eon of time to do the coding yet ;)

Most good Max, maya artists I know only do stuff for others for money. very rarely, for a project they like a lot. But rarely is a game. Blender comunity *seems* to be an exception. And there are 'some' qualified guys there.

Hope this helped a bit.

Oh, forgot. So that u see i know what I'm talking about, and is not the advice of a random crazy lad, some shots...But to do 3d artowrk for ur project, I am one of those that gets into once the game is practically done in code, at least in a functional way, and even more, only I get into if the other character art is something I could have done , or is better than mine. I never get into a project where I have to do art where the other done art(I mean character art, with buildings and objects I'm not that picky, but a desproportioned house with the characters or trees, would scare me ;) ) is crappy. So... chances in my case are pretty low. Not picky aither of mix my concept art with not very top 3d art...but then again, if the 3d artwork or texturing work is too bad, I neither do concept. The idea and way of planning seems of the quality needed, for now, though.

I am now overloaded of comercial tiny projects stuff. Can't really do more...But at night, I get really tired of screen, and I draw for fun. I may do concept art there. But i'd have to see way much more to use time in anything. Much more. (it's not arrogance, please. Just realism, and having been in many projects, and see em die. I have even eaten myself a fully rigged and animated model! ...grunt...)

The stuff I can show, anyway, is, in drawings, often evencopyrighted, in 3d, not professional as is the 3d I *can* show, and I don't do indy stuff since quite a time, and what I did at those times, was woking same time at an aaa company, or in a mod, so not too good, you arrive home tired.

The first one was used for a aaa game, that was actually distributed. I can show only as portfolio.

concept art -drawings.

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/0640BKK34CH3/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/0TS666OP2225/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/L75JKU7LE532/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/U02110F7O0U9/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/7V5PG65OMM0E/p.gif

3d stuff, etc...

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/5B8C2KMNFXH2/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/8TT8NL607N37/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/3Z3ZOA7709V1/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/6V3VOA587RM3/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/QZ587XK263ME/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/3JH7Q307209O/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/HM080D8Z6Q45/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/8791PE93X76C/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/G64CS0T2F6SU/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/692V6D9QFMTJ/p.jpeg

and this was my very first 3d stuff, back in '96, when we used 3d STUDIO for Ms -DOS, most people have not even known that one....

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/JNEU87P9ZX9C/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/0SJR52G559CO/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/Q79C3H7GFIYO/p.jpeg

Hi res stuff, not for low pol games. but left in initial stage. May continue months later (may do some normal maps with this one) :

http://picserver.org/view_image.php/P4TC0R3L045A/p.jpeg
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/7XH9M620V37E/p.jpeg

I post all of it so fo ru to know that I can give advice for the samples they send u. Even if I don't collaborate a single bit, I'd like for once, that a rol/medieval game was ACTUALLY done, and done exactly that way.

if u don't like anything u read, then I have lost a lot of time...(once again)...ugh....

;)

PD: I respect those wanting continuous fights in these games, but actually, don't do a "popular" game, do a good game. It'll by force become popular, if it's any good....customized Never Winter Nights matches had this, and even the solo standard game, and that was sooo nice to play, and a bit of that inmersion. Of course, 5 years, and the people involved...wow..I have the original game, man the credits pages is longer thant th e(way long) manual..well, is a way of speaking , but u get it. Don't take me wrong, ppl, I enjoy a Diablo game, even an UT2k3, but this is done again and again...is much mor eoriginal and inmersive what he's proposing.
Blender ppl, or a good portion of them, would find that attractive, even if they don't join.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
kmh

Post by kmh »

Harry_Mystic: About the "adventures will only happen once": I'm not planning to have lots of hard-coded adventures in the game, I was more thinking of 'dynamic quests', if you so want. An example for that would be, that players can abduct NPC's. And if some people from my town come into your castle at night and kidnap your cook or some farmers, you will face a problem .. find him and rescue him, or run out of food at some stage. I don't think you'd find a player how would be happy to cook for your men 24/7, so you better get that cook of yours back home.
Another possible scenario would be a pack of wolves terrorising your city, coming in there every night, killing your flock. This could be caused by some magician (remember, there won't be many wizard around, but if you face a high-end magician, you have a problem. Think Gandalf in Lord of the Rings) who conjured those wolves, it could be caused by some negative artifact someone in you town owns (find out which artifact causes this plague, find out who owns it, convince that person to give it away. You can never really know what trouble artifacts can cause you - you know, they won't come with a manual, you have to find out youselves.). That's the quests I'm dreaming of.
Talking about realism as in not-knowing-what-things-are-good-for: When you meet people, you might see their name on top of them (although maybe they should introduce themselves first, we could discuss that), but you certainly won't see something like "Level 78": If you want to know how strong some guy is, I'm afraid you'll have to ask and trust him ... or fight him. Same thing for yourself, really, you will have stats of some sort, but it's more like "I feel well","I feel dizzy","tired","hungry" ... instead of "Health 78%" ...

vermeer: Thanks for the long post, graphics is definitely an essential part to any game, and I apprechiate the detailed information you gave me! However, as you said, graphics are no good if there isn't a game first, I think I'll focus on the coding part of the game first (I've been using some linux-penguin-model when writing the framework and it has served me well ;) ), try to find some more coders to help me, and start thinking about graphics / trying to recruit artists, when it seems to make sense. That is, I want a first playable demo, which supports all the basics we need, such as

(a) Indoor/Outdoor terrain rendering
(b) Extensive Entity class, modularisable, easily extendable
(c) AI subsystem for NPC's
(d) Storyline subsystem
(e) Framework for political subsystem
(f) Framework for skills/experience subsystem
(g) Object and Attribute handling system

... before thinking about nice graphics.
I know it might be harder to find other programmers to join me, without showing of any fancy graphics, but then I prefer people who join me because of the game (i.e. features, ideas, all that stuff I wrote in my first post), rather then because they like the fancy graphics.

I'll try to set up a website sometime soon, with a more detailed schedule of what to do, when to do it and how to do it, and hopefully a CVS of some sort (still not sure about open-sourcing it completely, I kind of prefer the idea of a free but closed-sourced game).

Flatline, Harry_Mystic, jikbar: If you find the time do join me! I think we can make this game happen, I'll post the website url here, once I got around to setting it up (hopefully this weekend). Obviously C++ experience of some sort if required, otherwise we wouldn't get anywhere, but (as we don't have a deadline) you don't need lots of sparetime, just enthusiasm. There are plenty of small tasks that need to be done, so whenever you're free, if you're interested, I'm sure you'd be an immense help!

vermeer: I'll definitely get back to you, once the game is out of planning and pre-alpha stage, and I have some artists willing to help on the project. Some professional advice on graphics is always apprechiated.
SuryIIID

Great art !

Post by SuryIIID »

I just want to express my admiration of vermeer's work.
I'm an artist who knows/loves to program.
I also prefer Wings, CHFX + pencil 2D drawinigs, what a coincidence :)

Ones again : Great work, especially the concept art !

Edit : I just wanted to say that i love vermeer's art, don't get me wrong - i'm not trying to enter that game team ! :wink:
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Thank you very much, SuryIIID, that was very kind :)

I've been a life dedicated to it all :)
Harry_Mystic

Post by Harry_Mystic »

About the "adventures will only happen once"
Thanks for clarifying that.
"Dynamic quests": Maybe some bad magicians with an evil AI that travel the world and make trouble :twisted: ?

About "a lot of fight"
To avoid misunderstanding, this is not what I prefer and I don't find this hack 'n slay game interesting. Maybe it was not well explained from my side, what kmh wrote on his reply "Harry_Mystic: About the "adventures will only happen once" is what I mean. I see a good portion of fighting in there.

About popular game
Maybe my english sucks but from what I know popular means that many people like something. This shall be an MMORPG, that means (I hope) Massive Multiplayer ORPG, that means for me many people playing online.
I hope you understand what I mean, don't shoot if I use the wrong expressions.

At kmh: I don't have anything else to do the next few years, so I will help if I can. But be aware, I don't know if I am even a bad programmer at all. And by sure I am a misserable modeler, I know this after looking at vermeer's work (wow!).

Enough for know, I have to go work.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Harry_Mystic, yep, I just was afraid he could get convinced to do a diabloII in 3d, u know , one reads too fast ;)

Thanks for the cumpliment :) You know, art is the only think I can do, out of that , I have no other real profession(have done other jobs, but with tricks hiding my weakness in other knowledge, like programming, OS maintenance, etc)...i suppose is like when someone has done allways a job, he'd better try to be good at it ... ;)
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Seems like you have the initial brainstorming nicely rounded off, will be interesting to see what you can come up with. I'm all for overly ambitious projects if they get done :) Good luck.
johannes

Post by johannes »

This sounds like a fantastic project! I wish you good luck working on it.

I'm probably not good enough, but when you have come that far that you need graphics, I would love to help you out...

You can look at some of my work at http://fisheye.freenukehosting.com/

Post by Guest »

Scripted AI is implemented, too, although at this stage all the AI entities do is walk in circles
he he he...you call that implemented!

Just a joke but good luck. It sounds like you have most of your stuff together much better than most. I just thought it was a funny use of words. I am working on some AI code for relistic human interaction for my doctoral degree and it is about finished and just under a half million lines of code. I wish my characters could just walk in circles. :D
jikbar

Post by jikbar »

IMO, if you want a popular game you need a lot of fights. For most players it is more interesting slaying monsters than milking cows (if you are a farmer ). I know, it is an extreme example but when you play a game you want to escape from routine and fighting against imaginary enemys it's something more interesting than doing some "jobs". (Idea: what about clan wars?)
thats what NPCs are for. while NPCs are doing their jobs, players could have some more interesting jobs (soldier, knight, thief...) Or, players that choose farmer for example could start the game in the middle of a disputed zone of the world so their normal lives are interrupted. Also, to keep things realistic, players could start off by assuming the body of an NPC so they arent just suddenly "born" as adults.

@kmh: i can start converting some code to irrlicht now, PM me (or post) the site where i could get the project if ur interested

this project is getting better an better by the minute :wink: