My Attempt At Modeling

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Alpha Omega

My Attempt At Modeling

Post by Alpha Omega »

So I have been attempting to learn how to model and I have been messing around with blender. I have created a model of Master Yoda from Star Wars and am Making a full rig that can be animated. This is only the head so far. You can check out the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kbangpGH00

If you have any suggestions on improving my model leave a comment.

The head is about 1428 Polygons with a High Res Normal Map applied. I prolly will map the shadows as well. Anyone know anything about ambient occlusion?
Radikalizm

Re: My Attempt At Modeling

Post by Radikalizm »

Alpha Omega wrote:So I have been attempting to learn how to model and I have been messing around with blender. I have created a model of Master Yoda from Star Wars and am Making a full rig that can be animated. This is only the head so far. You can check out the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kbangpGH00

If you have any suggestions on improving my model leave a comment.

The head is about 1428 Polygons with a High Res Normal Map applied. I prolly will map the shadows as well. Anyone know anything about ambient occlusion?
This looks good, especially if you're still learning
I'm not a very good modeler myself (I can manage some basic structures) so I can't really give any comments or suggestions

To do some nice face modelling you might want to look into Z-Brush, it's rather intuitive program which allows you to sculpt meshes with lots of options for optimization, creation of different maps, etc.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Blender has some sculpting tools as well, albeit not as powerful.
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

The full body can be viewed below. I used the blender cloth simulation to slowly settle onto the mesh but it most likely will be most impressive during animation.

Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

Nicole Scherzinger

Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Looks like it's a mask made of metal :D But I assume you didn't pay attention to materials too much yet
Modelling-wise this looks like a rather clean job ;)
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

How is the skin on this model mate?

Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Much better, but skin in general is really difficult to get right so don't worry about it if you don't get it completely right ;)

Reminds me that I should try out some subsurface scattering implementations...
agnas

Post by agnas »

Hi

I´m full time coder no modeler so my first attempt are wide far of your first attempt. Actually I dont believe this is your first attempt! If this is your first attempt you're a genius! Anyway, maybe I´m tired so I don´t know where is the details of this work, but which Blender version are you using? which exporter? Is it this images rendered by irrlicht? Really? Could you please share your full workflow?
Thanks and good work!
/\+++/\
< agnas >
\/+++\/
micronosis.com
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

agnas wrote:Hi

I´m full time coder no modeler so my first attempt are wide far of your first attempt. Actually I dont believe this is your first attempt! If this is your first attempt you're a genius! Anyway, maybe I´m tired so I don´t know where is the details of this work, but which Blender version are you using? which exporter? Is it this images rendered by irrlicht? Really? Could you please share your full workflow?
Thanks and good work!
Hey agnas,

These renders were done in blender 2.49b. I haven't exported these into Irrlicht, but maybe I should? I haven't learned how to do Irrlicht shaders because I haven't really needed too yet. The Blender render uses a quad layer SSS with a few color mixes to blend the facial texture map to the procedural texture. From my understanding I could export this to Irrlicht but I would have to export individual materials and then code the SSS into Irrlicht? Maybe it would prove to be an interesting project, but for know I am more focused on learning all the bits and pieces of what goes into those shader calculations before I actually go ahead and do them myself. If your interested maybe I could do a blender tutorial, or are you more interested in Irrlicht shaders?