free as in beer tools

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
drarem

free as in beer tools

Post by drarem »

My opinion is, if you're not going to make a true cross-platform port to profit and include Linux, please either A: make a donation(s) to the free open source projects which fueled your efforts, or B: include Linux in your ports.

Thank you for your time.
Radikalizm

Re: free as in beer tools

Post by Radikalizm »

drarem wrote:My opinion is, if you're not going to make a true cross-platform port to profit and include Linux, please either A: make a donation(s) to the free open source projects which fueled your efforts, or B: include Linux in your ports.

Thank you for your time.
I'm sorry, but that's completely up to the developers to choose for themselves, as long as they stay within what the license of the libraries they use permit they are not forced to do anything like that.
Why bring this up, if I may ask?
drarem

Post by drarem »

That's true, totally up to the developers. I'm just thinking of all the apps produced on the smart phones and what if any credit or support goes back to the ones who put their efforts into it. I know it's for hobby or love of the idea, but I'm being a bit troll-like and trying to get people to think. Plus I want to see more games for linux :P~ Maybe that's my alterior motive.
sudi

Post by sudi »

drarem wrote:That's true, totally up to the developers. I'm just thinking of all the apps produced on the smart phones and what if any credit or support goes back to the ones who put their efforts into it. I know it's for hobby or love of the idea, but I'm being a bit troll-like and trying to get people to think. Plus I want to see more games for linux :P~ Maybe that's my alterior motive.
Smartphones? doesn't android run on a linux kernel? besides there are tons of game for linux and even almost all modern games also run on linux with wine.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

I think most people on here are rather linux-aware, I know I am at least, my engine is going to support linux in the end, don't know whether the actual games built with it will run on linux but that's not the point :D
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

One of the main reasons I started using Irr is for its platform independence and flexibility. I myself never thought of throwing linux out of the picture- Win and Linux are the two platforms I`ll do my best to support for sure, and that is a decision I`ve made from the very beginning. And, of course every dev can do whatever he feels to do, depending on the case, no need to put any rules.
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
HerrAlmanack

Post by HerrAlmanack »

drarem wrote:My opinion is, if you're not going to make a true cross-platform port to profit and include Linux, please either A: make a donation(s) to the free open source projects which fueled your efforts, or B: include Linux in your ports.

Thank you for your time.
I am using several open source projects fueled by the awesome Linux community :)

I would donate if I had money... :P