Movement tutorial errors

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
brick

Movement tutorial errors

Post by brick »

I'm trying to run the Tutorial 4 pasting the exact same code from the site, but I always get the following errors. Does anyone know what might be causing them?

Error 4 error LNK2028: unresolved token (0A00085B) "extern "C" class irr::IrrlichtDevice * __cdecl createDevice(enum irr::video::E_DRIVER_TYPE,class irr::core::dimension2d<unsigned int> const &,unsigned int,bool,bool,bool,class irr::IEventReceiver *)" (?createDevice@@$$J0YAPAVIrrlichtDevice@irr@@W4E_DRIVER_TYPE@video@2@ABV?$dimension2d@I@core@2@I_N22PAVIEventReceiver@2@@Z) referenced in function "int __cdecl main(void)" (?main@@$$HYAHXZ) File: irrlicht02.obj

Error 4 error LNK2028: unresolved token (0A00085B) "extern "C" class irr::IrrlichtDevice * __cdecl createDevice(enum irr::video::E_DRIVER_TYPE,class irr::core::dimension2d<unsigned int> const &,unsigned int,bool,bool,bool,class irr::IEventReceiver *)" (?createDevice@@$$J0YAPAVIrrlichtDevice@irr@@W4E_DRIVER_TYPE@video@2@ABV?$dimension2d@I@core@2@I_N22PAVIEventReceiver@2@@Z) referenced in function "int __cdecl main(void)" (?main@@$$HYAHXZ) File: irrlicht04.obj

Error 6 error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals File: C:\\Documents\Visual Studio 10\Projects\irrlicht02\Debug\irrlicht02.exe
serengeor

Re: Movement tutorial errors

Post by serengeor »

You know it throws you error IDs for a reason. Now that you know what errors occur you just go to almighty google and type them in:http://www.google.lt/search?sourceid=ch ... 80&bih=914
Most of the time the most top results should have an answer what could be wrong in general then you just apply that to your case.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
brick

Post by brick »

I did look for it on google, but I didn't solve the problem. I thought if it's a common problem it might save me some time to post it there, but it seems it's not. Thanks in any case, I'll keep looking.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

The linker error makes it clear that the irrlicht.lib file is not being linked. I'm betting you didn't put that file in your lib directory for MSVC.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Note that Irrlicht already comes with an "examples" folder. You should with that. And as Ducky said - this comes from not linking with the Irrlicht library.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm