Windows 8

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
pippy

Re: Windows 8

Post by pippy »

Windows is gambling its future with Windows 8. It likely will fail, and MS will become the next IBM while Google & Apple take the crown:
  • their HTML5 & JS apps are written in nonstandard formats. It's a repeat of DHTML
  • they're disowning .NET & executables by doing so, leaving thousands of loyal developers pissed off
  • it takes two or more iterations to perfect an interface
  • corporate clients won't want support and training by stepping into the unknown
  • intranets and webapps are taking over desktop platforms. Modern offices have iPads, iPhones, macbooks and PCs. If it doesn't work together the standard PC can be easily discarded
They might make it work seamlessly, but I doubt it. MS are trying to get ARM processors to work with windows 8 (wtf?) so they'll be support issues, people getting frustrated and possibly a repeat of Vista.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

serengeor wrote:
aaammmsterdddam wrote:now it's broken, and it auto updates. (set to ASK, but not autoupdate! downgrading to skype 4.x, updates back to 5.... no choice :( )
Use linux skype 2.~ has been like for years, problem solved :D
yes, because the development was dropped at 2.2 BETA. stopped there. (I use it as well)
But I have a windows machine as well....
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

I'm not EXPECTING Windows to disappear/go down in flames after Windows 8. But I'm hoping it will eventually (that way we only have to support OpenGL). There is good new on the Windows 8 front though: http://pkisensee.wordpress.com/2011/09/ ... s-8-and-c/
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

this thread made me lol html javascript is merely an additional option availible .net c# c++ will also work every x86 SOFTWARE will still work on the tradition desktop on the x86-x64 version of windows 8 while the ARM version will not suport it
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Well thats not the problem... The problem are the pointlessness of adding those as extra features! M$ always just adds features features features, until everything is overloaded!
But I don't have a problem with that.. We don't really 'need' Windows OS or Microsoft.
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

We don't really 'need' Windows OS or Microsoft.

...wel what am I gonna play skyrim and all the other cool games on?
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

What do you think is gonna happen???
Oh no MS is dead! (All developers jump ship and make it work with Linux...) Or anything else there is.

But really Windows should be called 'Game OS'! (Because that IS all that 90% of windows PC's are used for!)
Or called: Windows... without an outlook. (Get it)
I really don't see much of a usefull future for Operating Systems that exist 90% of the time for... wasting time!
Oh wait? As a game developer I should enjoy seeing people waste their time! :D
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

ACE247 wrote:I really don't see much of a usefull future for Operating Systems that exist 90% of the time for... wasting time!
People rarely do anything else than wasting time in their lives...

The problem with most linux distros is they scarcely work out of the box and while they usually offer more customability, not everything is accessible through GUI
irrRenderer 1.0

ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Well that's my style!

Ps were'd you get the idea for the word aardvark in your signature from? I mean, you're not Afrikaans speaking are you? Afrikaans, in Slovakia? :?
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

irrRenderer 1.0

Granyte

Post by Granyte »

honestly they cna add al the feature they wan they stated that they will always get thier minimum requirement stable or going down from now on
they can overload thier features all they wan as long as it does not screw performance and knowing that if you unlock it (yes the actualy minimum requirement is artificial) it can run fine on a p3 with 256 mb of ram i think they did it right

also these features are aimed at tablet rather then at traditional desktop making a real os run on a tablet rathen then IOS
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

ACE247 wrote:But really Windows should be called 'Game OS'! (Because that IS all that 90% of windows PC's are used for!)
You know that Microsoft earns its money by selling MS Office? And that most offices use Microsoft Office or OS?

Beside, the new Coppercube engine uses also javascript, i thought... Is that also a problem for the web compatibility? Don't think so ;)

I did not read that Windows App javascript and HTML5 are going to differ that much from the web javascript. Though, if it is a closed environment there should be no problem?
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

LOL MS Office... Poor people that haven't heard of Open Office :( . I know for a fact that Microsoft Software is THEE most pirated on the PLANET!
They're making a lot less than they could. And nonetheless Windows is Practically built for Gaming, 99% of games are made for it.

(Challenge: Find me a game that does not work on it)

In my mind everything should just use the same programming language! :D
C++'++'
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

AHHAHAHAH i think it should only use c++ to but i guess that's because it's the language we learned and now that we did we love the power and control it gives us
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

ACE247 wrote: Poor people that haven't heard of Open Office :(.
Open Office (Libre office) is quite buggy atm. Can't really bother doing some extra stuff to get it behave properly just to get my hw done. Though it is still quite nice that there's a free alternative.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).