Simulating wind movement?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Virror

Simulating wind movement?

Post by Virror »

Hello, i was thinking about how to simulate wind movement in a good way. What i was thinking about was simulating wind direction and speed in a somewhat real way.
Anyone have any ideas, i have looked on Google but not found any good answers.
Maybe its possible to use some noise to simulate it?
randomMesh

Re: Simulating wind movement?

Post by randomMesh »

Have a look at the GrassPatchSceneNode in the irrExt repository. It has a wind generator class.
"Whoops..."
Virror

Post by Virror »

Awsome, thanx : )
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

if you want to simulate wind... I would advise simulating areas of high and low pressure. Then use proper equations to work out wind speed and the movement of these. You will get nice varying direction changing wind
Virror

Post by Virror »

That would be the correct solution i guess, but way to advanced for my application : p
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

for my wind generator I used 2 1D perlin noise generators, one for the wind magnitude and one to interpolate between a min & max direction vectors, i tuned the effect by "linking" the generator to a visible wind vane style helper object showing the direction and force (scale in wind direction) of the wind.
Virror

Post by Virror »

That sounds like the way i thought about doing it.
Came in contact with noise generation when i played around with terrain generation and thought that it would work good for wind generation as well : )
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

a quick note: the code I use can be found in the flag scene node i created btw.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... =9&t=45093
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

devsh wrote:if you want to simulate wind... I would advise simulating areas of high and low pressure. Then use proper equations to work out wind speed and the movement of these. You will get nice varying direction changing wind
while we are at it is there any good paper or article on how to build a such simulation it's the kind of implementation i will likely use in my project
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

I really wouldn't recommend that... Its how the weather service does it ;)
(And it takes long and the look ain't worth it If you only want game wind effects)
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

well obviously for a game you implement a very simplified version but i don'T only wanna implement a wind simulation i wanna implement a planetary wide weather simulation to obtain result that would look natural obviously it will need to be simplified to fit in a game but i still think it would be worth it in the type of game i'm working on
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Well then find some Meteorology books and start reading... it's seldom traveled Territory you're in! :)
I wish you Good Luck!
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

i will start by understanding how to build a dynamic lod that can generate a complete planet with irrlicht then ill look into this .....
docWild

Post by docWild »

Even our greatest supercomputers don't model the planet's entire weather system. \studied meteorology many moons ago (no pun intended)

Modelling local conditions is more manageable and effects from outside the local system can be averaged. High pressure from north, low from west etc.

My suggestion would be to use a few vectors, you can add noise vectors for randomness, but essentially you want a master vector and a series of affecting vectors (from north, south, east etc). Then you would allow vectors to add or cancel each other giving you a local result.

Gah... sounds soooooo dull.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

well a basic map of high and low pressure zone could be simulated based on a height map ,and some data (i have no idea currently what kind of data would be usefull in a such an estimation)

for exemple and gpu pixel shader could be used to compute the wind vector on each point every X amount of time and updating pressure zones etc

the simulation only need to be accurate enought to fool the user localy not simulating everything uber accurately every where