[SOLVED] Irrlicht Bink Shader

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
caburfoot

[SOLVED] Irrlicht Bink Shader

Post by caburfoot »

Re: Irrlicht Bink Shader [SOLVED]

by caburfoot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Well, the Lord works in mysterious ways. He sent the right guy.

devsh and I chatted and he bid about $75 bucks to get the original OpenGL example working and fix the GL shader issue with Irrlicht.

The two primary issues were that the binks weren't power of two causing buffer shifts and that Irrlicht didn't understand the Luminence type.
Mateusz Kielan (dvsh) has delivered the glshader that works with Irrlicht and bink.

I’m impressed with this guy’s skill and that he consistently met his self imposed deadline.
Guys this is a good solution to slow full screen bink renders.

This guy figured out the Irrlicht solution and found issues with the frag shader also.
He’s delivered at a very reasonable price and consistenly on time.
Delivered the modified source and an example program.

Cannot sing his technical praises loud enough.
I had spent at least 3 weeks looking at the code and couldn't see the issue, thought I could tell it was related to Luminence.

His code is clean and the example is easy to follow. I'd even say elegant.
IF You have an Irrlicht Issue or OpenGL issue, you should contact devshhttp://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16623.
He can definately swizzle the GLSL and Irrlicht!

I'm going to try to attach IrrlichtLuminence.zip for consideration for inclusion to future Irrlicht verions.
Radikalizm

Re: [SOLVED] Irrlicht Bink Shader

Post by Radikalizm »

You actually paid $75 for a shader and an implementation you could've figured out yourself by doing some actual research about the APIs you were working with?
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

"May the Lord bless the lazy ones feeding us poor programmers. Amen."
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Spending $75 for a solution when you already wasted 3 weeks on something without figuring it out? I'd do that any time.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

CuteAlien wrote:Spending $75 for a solution when you already wasted 3 weeks on something without figuring it out? I'd do that any time.
If I were coding professionaly for a project which had a deadline, sure
If it were for a hobby project it'd be worth the trouble and time to figure it out yourself
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Well it was the first case, 3 weeks is a lot of time to waste on a commercial project, especially if you have enough money to pay for a bink licence... and I hit the cause of the problem by an accident... which he could not have as he is clearly not a "graphics programmer"....

Anyway... my portfolio http://indirectlightandmagic.tumblr.com
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Please re-post the stuff about the luminance addition in order to make up a proper discussion. And please focus on the patch, not your private business. I move this thread to off-topic as it seems to focus on rather private stuff right now.
caburfoot

Post by caburfoot »

I posted the .zip to the Irrlicht tracker. Do I need to re-submit that patch?
I've tried to search for ways to 'upload' to the forum, but external ftp (or similar to dropbox) seems to be the only solution
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

No, you only need to change those files if you update the code. Otherwise the files are stored there properly. But in order to disuss the necessary changes, it would be helpful to explain the patch in detail. And to learn about the drawbacks an possible improvements you or other members can do.
caburfoot

Post by caburfoot »

So HOW or where is the HOW TO upload patches? I've seen that the Irrlicht 1.7.3 was release WITHOUT the patches I submitted.

Thanks
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Your luminance addition never had a chance to go into Irrlicht 1.7.x, and will never have. The stable branches are only bug fixed, there is no way to introduce new features in those branches. Simply because we need to keep the API unchanged, so programs should (in theory) run without recompiling with the new library as with the original one.
Next thing with your patch (if that's the one you talk about anyway, this thread is so unclear about everything...) is that we need a larger rewrite of the IImage interface and implementations to provide proper access to different image content orders and implementations. So it will for sure take even longer than the 1.8 release to get this patch in.