Hey... help here please

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
flich

Hey... help here please

Post by flich »

The engine looks cool incept for the fact i run into errors every 1 minute... the dll and the include files are not working for some odd reason. can anyone help me?

-Flich
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

I can help, but your going to have to be WAY more precise on what your problem is.

Are you including the include directories, the library, are the DLLs in the right place?

What OS?

What programming language?

What error messages are you getting?

Etc...
Crud, how do I do this again?
Flich

Post by Flich »

the main error I am getting is:

Line 1: The procedure entry point
Line 2: ?createDevice@irr@@YAPAIrrlichtDevice@1@W4EDriverType@video@!@ABV?$dimension2d@H@core@1@I_N2PA
Line 3: VIEventReciever@1@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library Irrlicht.dll

Thats the error.

I am running Windows XP.
Flich

Post by Flich »

i am using C++. I have 2 C++ compilers both give me the same error. One is Dev C++ and the other is Visual C++ 6.0

Dev C++ is my best bet is because I have upgraded it so it can read more current things and the api stuff... sorry for double post though
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

Visual C++ 6.0 is much better than Dev C++, I would use it and make sure that the Irrlicht.dll is in the same directory as the source you are compiling. Then make sure under tools, option, and the directories tab set the check box to include files, and then add in the path to the Irrlicht include folder and then change the check box to the lib files and add in the path to the Irrlicht lib folder for VC++. Then under project, settings, and the link tab, under obj/library modules type in irrlicht.lib. If you do this correctly then you will be able to compile without any (linker) problems.
Flich

Post by Flich »

VC++ doesnt have the stuff Dev-C++ has but i guess its better since it is used by most here.

Reason being is: VC++ doesnt read the directx or opengl code... so i dont like it and 2 i hate microsoft...

-Flich
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

MICROSOFT RULES!!!

No I'm just kidding but hey, you gotta respect the empire. Bow b4 lord Gates... :lol:

What do you mean
Flich wrote:VC++ doesnt have the stuff Dev-C++ has
Visual C++ has so much more and runs better compiles faster better debugging good lord the list goes on. Also, I don't understand what you're getting at here?
Flich wrote:Reason being is: VC++ doesnt read the directx or opengl code...
Doesn't read the DirectX or OpenGL code? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I've compiled thousands of DirectX and OpenGL programs in VC++6. Plus, all the major game companies use it, most of those cool games you see out there like Quake III were written in VC++.
Flich

Post by Flich »

compiles faster? i just did what you say and i have been waiting about 8 minutes for this thing to compile and it isnt working

and damn it just froze... so i guess i have to restart working on it but it compiles it looks like without errors

Flich
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

did I mention that I don't like Dev C++ :?: :wink:
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

Hey don't blame the message man, you must be doing sometin wrong...
Flich

Post by Flich »

ah well i will use what everyone use i wont waste my money anyways... even if i hate microsoft...

vc++ 6.0 costed money :/

well its getting working... the source sucks though its doing graphical errors...

well thats all

-Flich
t

Post by t »

Flich, you must have vc++ installed incorrectly. Reinstall it from cds, and get all the updates from microsoft.com.
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

you really only need 1 update, SP5
Flich

Post by Flich »

errr its not vc++ its the graphical engine...
Directx and opengl...
so stop saying i need to reinstall it...
t

Post by t »

Fich, irrlicht ROCKS! :) If no-one else is having these problems, it's probably a problem with your setup. Make sure you've got the right irrlicht dll for the code you're using.