Old win-Xp programs dont compile on Win-7

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
newbie8787

Old win-Xp programs dont compile on Win-7

Post by newbie8787 »

Almost four years ago, I had made some small projects using irrlicht (on win Xp with DX9). I need to showcase them to some universities to get an admit to their game dev programs , So I tried running the old executables on my current PC (running win 7 with direct X10) , but they just make my whole screen go blank , the computer is still running , it doesn't hang , but it doesn't let me do anything , I just sit there mashing ctrl+alt+del till I have to give up and do a hard reboot.
Its been some time so I am not really familiar with irrlicht anymore (though i don't mind getting my hands dirty), I wish to know what kind of work will I have to do to make these old games Win7-Dx10 compatible ? I read in a blog post that it should be as simple as changing the device to "EDT_DIRECT3D10" ( the games are pretty simple , no shaders or advanced effects) or would I need to do some other things as well ?

many Thanks for your help!
ACE247

Re: Old win-Xp programs dont compile on Win-7

Post by ACE247 »

LOL no DirectX 10 In Irrlicht yet. Might be you will have to recompile those applications under windows 7 with new Irrlicht.
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Old win-Xp programs dont compile on Win-7

Post by CuteAlien »

No DX10 support, but it should still run in DX9 mode. So usually you should have nothing to do. But maybe there was a bug which didn't show up formerly (getting software running on a new System often turns up new bugs which always had been there, but didn't crash the program before). So I would recommend just to try running it in a debugger and check what's going wrong.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm