zbrush fibre mesh

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
ACE247

Re: zbrush fibre mesh

Post by ACE247 »

Well its hair... But there's ALOT of problems with the hair. It doesn't flow properly around the legs, Spiders don't have 'real' hair, or that much for that matter, Spiders don't have colourations in their hair but on their exoskeleton, spiders have a minimum of 8 eyes.
I can also clearly see the hair extrusion hull around the edges of the hair, the hair is affected by gravity too much(spiders have more like bristles) Mot importantly its too DARK.
And a spider with hair like that I can do in less than 2 hours. I just do 3 round blobs, stretch em, do one leg, hairify it, duplicate 8x over, move into postion, paint the body, do a big and a small fang, do very fine black hair on those, paint the body with some colourations.

Then comes the hard part, grooming,Here's a tip: first make a wind effector and give all the hair a more natural look by applying it to them, make sure they are all slightly randomly distorted, by using multiple patches of hair slightly interwoven.(This is like Manual Labour) Now do the same with something large like say 5 different horses, a cat and then a Bird with Feathers. After thats done have a go at animating hair to flow properly and not behave like a wirebrush... I haven't been working with Blender for nothing for the last 3 years you know! ;)

Now with the new zbrush feature, you just select your model, press 'hair here' Voila! Then you trim some here some there, or even use a 'hair map' set 'wind on' choose a colour, done. (This is like a robotic factory)

See the hair in Blender isn't really a specific hair tool, its more of an object painting tool, all the hair specific functions you have to do and puzzle out yourself, whereas in ZBrush it knows what hair is meant to behave like. Which is quite a plus.
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

show us a viewport screen grab of that model, not a render
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

yes. I am very aware that the scene is dark. and it is intended to be. you should be able to see that there is a spider though.... I can post another scrrenshot later today with higher ambient occlusion. (and stronger spotlights :P)
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

why show a render ? show us the mesh.
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

He's shy!
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

nope. the image is on deviantart because it is ART.
I will upload one with better light when I get home (in about an hour)
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

you can't show us a mesh because it doesn't exist, the mesh for the fur on your spider is generated at render time as a render effect which is not the same as the created fibre mesh in zbrush.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

@aaammmsterdddam you could show the mesh in realtime if Blender Cycles render already had hair support ;)
But it doesn't...
Cube_

Post by Cube_ »

well the hair is a mesh. I have a bunch of screenies to prove ot (9 to be exact!)

but attatchments won't work. megaupload will.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W9VKTHRN

EDIT: I know the hair is messy. it is because I am not quite done with tweaking it. (Though mind you. for the render it was)
it is mostly because it goes inside (under) the other mesh at places. ^^*
Ah well.... still. point proven.
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

yeah because ramping up the strand display percentage looks so good in the viewport.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Its still dark...
On a different note, is that an illegal download Irrlicht 1.7 Beginners guide pdf there? Because thats the only thing that shows up when I google that filename... ;)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

ACE247 wrote:Its still dark...
On a different note, is that an illegal download Irrlicht 1.7 Beginners guide pdf there? Because thats the only thing that shows up when I google that filename... ;)
It is not a free book afaik, so yeah.
I actually had the chance to get it for free (needed to review it), though I didn't have the time to do so :(
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Cube_

Post by Cube_ »

I have it.
anywayz. the hair is a mesh and I selected/unselected it to prove it.
the particle system can safely be removed. (I can send the blend file if you still don't believe that the hair is in fact a mesh. material setting: wire (The hair is edges and material setting wire is necessary for it to show up in renders and simmilar. ^^*)
fmx

Post by fmx »

aaammmsterdddam wrote: Ah well.... still. point proven.
which point would you be referring to?
None of us here said it couldn't be done in Blender, if that's what you mean.

Since it took you half a day to just do the spider then IMO that proves the point me and ACE were trying to make:
creating nice looking hair or fur like that using the ZBrush tool is FAR quicker and easier than doing it in Blender :wink:

Nice DA gallery BTW, I like the abstract stuff you've done
Cube_

Post by Cube_ »

that would also include the general conept of it as well. <--- but yes. might be done faster in ZBrush. point is that
@aaammmsterdddam
have you ever used ZBrush before?
it doesn't work the same way as other 3d tools, mesh data is also handled very differently internally

I agree it might be possible to use weight painting in Blender/Max etc with plugins to generate simple stranded hairs, but I have never seen anything which looks as good as this, or provides as much control over the final look.

At the very least, it would take DAYS to achieve something like that in Blender, which would only take a few MINUTES to do with this new Zbrush feature...
isn't true. hours... sure! Days. not so much.
Well its hair... But there's ALOT of problems with the hair. It doesn't flow properly around the legs, Spiders don't have 'real' hair, or that much for that matter, Spiders don't have colourations in their hair but on their exoskeleton, spiders have a minimum of 8 eyes.
read the description @ deviantart. it is NOT anatomically correct. it is FANTASY thus. I could make it have a cat tail, boots and a hat if I wanted to.
I can also clearly see the hair extrusion hull around the edges of the hair, the hair is affected by gravity too much(spiders have more like bristles) Mot importantly its too DARK.
And a spider with hair like that I can do in less than 2 hours. I just do 3 round blobs, stretch em, do one leg, hairify it, duplicate 8x over, move into postion, paint the body, do a big and a small fang, do very fine black hair on those, paint the body with some colourations.
The body has the colors. the hair has as well, I refer to the answer above.
Then comes the hard part, grooming,Here's a tip: first make a wind effector and give all the hair a more natural look by applying it to them, make sure they are all slightly randomly distorted, by using multiple patches of hair slightly interwoven.(This is like Manual Labour) Now do the same with something large like say 5 different horses, a cat and then a Bird with Feathers. After thats done have a go at animating hair to flow properly and not behave like a wirebrush... I haven't been working with Blender for nothing for the last 3 years you know! ;)
I know. and as I already mentioned, the hair isn't quite done yet.
fair enough, you have more experience. and you do prove a point that it would be extremely tedious. luckily for me. I don't need that many things that have fur/hair.
Now with the new zbrush feature, you just select your model, press 'hair here' Voila! Then you trim some here some there, or even use a 'hair map' set 'wind on' choose a colour, done. (This is like a robotic factory)

See the hair in Blender isn't really a specific hair tool, its more of an object painting tool, all the hair specific functions you have to do and puzzle out yourself, whereas in ZBrush it knows what hair is meant to behave like. Which is quite a plus.
That is kind of cheating ;)
Doing it the hard way is
a) more entertaining
b) gives more experience.
Nice DA gallery BTW, I like the abstract stuff you've done
Thanks!
**Did I forget to answer something? If so. tell me :D**

EDIT:
Found one thing!
you can't show us a mesh because it doesn't exist, the mesh for the fur on your spider is generated at render time as a render effect which is not the same as the created fibre mesh in zbrush.
No. it is actual mesh consisting of vertices. I'll upload the model later if you don't believe me (Can be freely edited in edit mode.)

Also. I have a thing to note:
Gonna add a bit more transparency to the hair... later ^^*