IRR RPG Builder will be presented at the IGDA (Montreal)

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
christianclavet

IRR RPG Builder will be presented at the IGDA (Montreal)

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, Good new, the IRR RPG Builder project will be presented at the IGDA (Internationnal Game Developper Association) (Montreal Chapter)on the 31th of January.

I'll be the one presenting the project to the people there.

Here is the link to the event:
http://www.igda.org/montreal/Jan31_DemoNight

I think this will help IRR RPG Builder and Irrlicht to get some more visibility!
I will be presenting the project along with some local game compagnies, and also big players as Bioware and Funcom!
REDDemon
Developer

Re: IRR RPG Builder will be presented at the IGDA (Montreal)

Post by REDDemon »

Good new! :)
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

nice i might try to attend that for once these kind of stuff happens near where i live
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Good luck with it! :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
fmx

Post by fmx »

Congrats Christian, let us know how it goes :D
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

awesome :)
christianclavet

Hi, The event is done, and I'm here to report.

When I was accepted to participate to the event, I went to buy a laptop to do the presentation, worked a lot of hours to polish 0.2 as it was not that stable, and that the shaders where not even working on Intel hardware (Damn laptop).

When the show started, I was anticipating to be around 100 people there, but there was a lot more, at least 200! Half of the audience was standing up because there were no chair!

When my turn came to show the IRB project, I was able to demonstrate the basic features (Terrain, trees, scripting, and ..) I think they liked the way I was able to create the terrain and tree, but an horrible thing happened. It crashed in my face in front of all the people! Just when I was to drop a character on the map, to display how easy it was to place a character. I tested, and re-tested a lot of time before the show and this was really not anticipated by me. I was really feeling bad and did not know what to do.

For closing the presentation, I played (using the player build) a quick map I've done with IRB and all went good from there (got some laught for the animations and models, but that is ok). I would laught myself looking at the quick placeholder anims I've done and comparing them with the ones from Mass Effect 3 they presented just before me. (Their game is about to release)

So, I'm really sorry, guys... The presentation did not really go really well... Still feeling bad about this. It should not have crashed, but it did.
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Nevermind that, I`m really glad we at least had an entry. It`s a start. Better luck in future presentations. :wink:
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

well, the program is still BETA (or perhaps even ALPHA) so, a crash here and there isn't that bad (Blender, which is a GREAT program crashes at times)
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
aanderse

Post by aanderse »

happens to the best of us
don't let that get you down though
even just being there is an accomplishment :)
christianclavet

Hi,

Received a feedback from Jason, IGDA manager for Montreal. I miscounted. There were 450 people there:
Hi all,

Wow, what a night! Thanks for everyone for putting on a great show and
having patience with all the technical/setup challenges.

We had a record breaking night, with over 450 attendees!!! And, tons
of great feedback :)

Some photos will get posted shortly and the video of the whole event
should go up on Vimeo in a few weeks.

Cheers,
Jason
And yes, IRB is in ALPHA 0.2, but was really solid on my developping computer. I took a risk of using the laptop with the intel chipset that was not really tested, and after investigation, it's seem there something in the driver (Intel side) that crashed the application. Retested the application on my main computer (NVidia, and my other one ATI) and they never crashed, even when I tried to.

The show is over now, and I'm fed up of this laptop, so I've given it to my girlfriend. I don't think I will develop something specifically for intel now.

So one advise:
- Never, never present a project on a video chipset your not 100% sure of.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

I wouldn't ever present anything on an intel chipset (I hate intel, AMD on the other hand....) ^^*
Intel chipset family 4 = runs minecraft smoothly, supports OpenGL 3.2(+m0ar?) (Minecraft uses 3.2, thus it supports 3.2 at least)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD supports OpenGL 2.2 with PARTIAL support up to 3.0, something is wrong here....shouldn't the support get better, not worse?
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

things like this happen all the time during presentation. must test it out on the machine that you are going to use for presentation (even if its a desktop). anyway this is really good, 450 people! here in my country, usually IGDA meeting only has around 10-20 people at most. few years ago when I was more active in IGDA it was only around 6 people everytime we meet. :)