Which web programming language should i use

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Lil Margin

Which web programming language should i use

Post by Lil Margin »

Hey,
I know this is not a website forum but i though i could ask this little question here tho, I wish to create a website, i have programming experience in c++, delphi, visual basic and html. I am not new to the programming world but i don't know which language i will have to use to achieve what i want, what i want is that i want to create 2 pages.1 page named Admin.html and another named News.html...in Admin.html there is an editbox and a button(with the caption submit) and when i enter a text in the editbox and click on the button it appears on News.html, if i repeat the process 2 times i will want to see all the text's i have typed in News.html.

The problem is that i don't know which language i must use to achieve what i want...
Thank you in advanced.

PS: if there is something you did not understand from my post pleas let me know.
serengeor

Re: Which web programming language should i use

Post by serengeor »

You could probably just use a content management system. These have some security features and other useful things.
If you really don't want to use one I guess you could use html + php to achieve this. Also you could grab some javascript WYSIWYG editor and integrate it so you wouldn't have to write html stuff yourself. Php will be pretty much similar to c++.
I've done one something like this myself and hosted it somewhere on a free host server but I doubt I will remember what host I used.
Edit: Seams the files were erased due to my inactivity :/
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
greenya

Post by greenya »

Lil Margin wrote:Hey,
i want to create 2 pages.1 page named Admin.html and another named News.html...in Admin.html there is an editbox and a button(with the caption submit) and when i enter a text in the editbox and click on the button it appears on News.html, if i repeat the process 2 times i will want to see all the text's i have typed in News.html.
I guess it is possible to do even with pure Javascript.
Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

Hmmmm ok, i started to look in php...today i got to install it locally on my pc... so i guess its all good, thanks guys
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

greenya wrote:
i want to create 2 pages.1 page named Admin.html and another named News.html...in Admin.html there is an editbox and a button(with the caption submit) and when i enter a text in the editbox and click on the button it appears on News.html, if i repeat the process 2 times i will want to see all the text's i have typed in News.html.
I guess it is possible to do even with pure Javascript.
Is it? iirc you need server side language to do this.
greenya

Post by greenya »

Javascript allows to read and write cookies, so first page sets and the second one reads it. :)
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

Sorry, this is nonsense. It doesn't work with JavaScript.
"Whoops..."
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

serengeor wrote:You could probably just use a content management system.
This. If your provider supports it use something like Wordpress.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Learn PHP and how to use MySQL, eventually some XML parsers.
First page insert data into database/xml file, second page reads it.

CuteAlien wrote:
serengeor wrote:You could probably just use a content management system.
This. If your provider supports it use something like Wordpress.
Or this

greenya wrote:
Javascript allows to read and write cookies, so first page sets and the second one reads it. :)
:D :D :D

But seriously, it's possible to do this using only pure JavaScript.
All is needed, to use some pastebin like website (with edit ability) and connect to it through AJAX requests.
Firsty, you create new pastebin paste and set password to have edit ability.
Admin page edits this pastebin paste using admin password, News page just read paste page, parse it and send it to browser.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

kazymjir wrote: But seriously, it's possible to do this using only pure JavaScript.
All is needed, to use some pastebin like website (with edit ability) and connect to it through AJAX requests.
Firsty, you create new pastebin paste and set password to have edit ability.
Admin page edits this pastebin paste using admin password, News page just read paste page, parse it and send it to browser.
Even better, create a blackhole in server. It will suck in the news automatically, though not sure about the possibility of retrieving them :lol:
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Hmmm, according to Stephen Hawking theories, we can try to open a wormhole, but bills for power consumption to hold wormhole open all the time on server may be a bit too high.

edit:
Hey, I found cheaper solution! We can use MORSE CODE!
This will require an additional optics used to send data and also require to hire worker who will work as human-server.
I made an illustration:

Lil Margin

Post by Lil Margin »

LMAO, by the way guys i have picked up a book on php and since its familliar too c++ i picked it up fast and i already made that news page i wanted, instead of using a database i just used plain text.
sudi

Post by sudi »

Checkout gwt its actually pretty cool and lets you code all logic in java.

http://code.google.com/intl/de/webtoolkit/
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Sudi wrote:Checkout gwt its actually pretty cool and lets you code all logic in java.
Looking interesting, but this thing may be too hard to learn for newbie.
http://jquery.com/ is a better solution.
sudi

Post by sudi »

kazymjir wrote:
Sudi wrote:Checkout gwt its actually pretty cool and lets you code all logic in java.
Looking interesting, but this thing may be too hard to learn for newbie.
http://jquery.com/ is a better solution.
Actually jQuery doesn't address his problem. Its only a client side lib which gives you a nice api to make the interface appealing and connect to the backend. But you still have to code the backend.
GWT on the other side is the complete deal. It makes writing the frontend an backend a brease. Besides writing javascript can be really tedious. Having java at your disposal for clientside coding is actually pretty nice. Redeuces stupid type errors by 100%.
So if you want to create a webApplication(means has a frontend(webpage) and a backend(that actually does stuff like access a db or whatever)) then gwt is actually one of the easiest things you can use. Even for a beginner.

Edit: Another option would be RubyOnRails which is as well pretty easy and powerfull
Or if you want to get adventures you could create your own webserver with node.js but yeah that would be actually not a valid option for him bc you just want to create a webapp

Edit2: RubyOnRails: http://rubyonrails.org/
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.