Slide Them Boxes (my new 2d puzzle-game)

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Eigen
Competition winner

Slide Them Boxes (my new 2d puzzle-game)

Post by Eigen »

Hey!

It's me, Eigen, the guy who was working on Front Warrior and posted bunch of screenshots about it but never really got anywhere with the project. I haven't been much active for a while. Since then I've come to realize that the only way I'll ever complete anything is to scale back and work on smaller 2D projects which I like a lot actually.

Though I'm not sure how many people would be interested (this is not related to Irrlicht in any ways), I'm going to post this here anyway. I just completed a game called Slide Them Boxes, which I'm really happy about and proud of. It's a traditional puzzle-game, you could even say a casual game I guess, where you have to move colored boxes to floor tiles of the same color. You do so by controlling a little character and he can push or pull stuff. He's strong!

It's a free game into which I put quite a lot of time and effort, but I like to think it's been worth it. So, if you feel like donating a dollar or some, please, do so :) Info about all that can be found on the website.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

Image Image

You can download the game for Windows and Mac OS X and read more information here:

Website for the game

If you want to see other things I'm working on, please visit my personal-portfolio-kindof-page here:

Eigen's Den

That's all for now I guess. I really hope you like the game, even though it's not quite many people's cup of tea. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

Take care.
serengeor

Re: Slide Them Boxes (my new 2d puzzle-game)

Post by serengeor »

Eigen wrote:Since then I've come to realize that the only way I'll ever complete anything is to scale back and work on smaller 2D projects which I like a lot actually.
Same here :)

I remember I had this type of game on my very very (VERY) old phone and it was the best! :)

Looks quite nice. In the other screen, did you loose, or is it possible to pull back the boxes?
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

serengeor wrote:Looks quite nice. In the other screen, did you loose, or is it possible to pull back the boxes?
You can both pull and push objects. There's no way to actually lose the game, you just take too long to finish the level and if it's high score you're after, you've got to do better :)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Eigen wrote:
serengeor wrote:Looks quite nice. In the other screen, did you loose, or is it possible to pull back the boxes?
You can both pull and push objects. There's no way to actually lose the game, you just take too long to finish the level and if it's high score you're after, you've got to do better :)
I see, I think that in the old game I played, you were only able to push boxes so It was quite a brain teaser. Then again it might be just my brain playing tricks, cause that was quite some time ago. :D
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

lol the ability to pull reminds me that game in wich you had to move cars/bus to get a particular car reach a particular position. really nice game :) (though one of the best challenges for AI programmers today)
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

serengeor wrote:I see, I think that in the old game I played, you were only able to push boxes so It was quite a brain teaser. Then again it might be just my brain playing tricks, cause that was quite some time ago. :D
There have been many games like that. I remember one back in the Windows 95 days, where there was this game, where you controlled a bulldozer and you had to push all the rocks somewhere. I played it with my mom, it was fun and challenging.

I have a bonus level in my game, where you can only push boxes to complete the level. It's rather difficult.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

nice. is pretty hard tuning challenge level with puzzle games like that. ;-)
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

Indeed, the level design and trying to increase/maintain difficulty with each new level was quite a challenge. The problem is, it's very subjective.

I wrote about some of the challenges encountered here
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

Eigen wrote:
serengeor wrote:I see, I think that in the old game I played, you were only able to push boxes so It was quite a brain teaser. Then again it might be just my brain playing tricks, cause that was quite some time ago. :D
There have been many games like that. I remember one back in the Windows 95 days, where there was this game, where you controlled a bulldozer and you had to push all the rocks somewhere. I played it with my mom, it was fun and challenging.

I have a bonus level in my game, where you can only push boxes to complete the level. It's rather difficult.
I STILL PLAY THAT GAME :D
It is seriously awesome (and it runs surprisingly well under win XP)
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
hendu

Post by hendu »

If only you'd mentioned its name, your post would have been useful...
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

well, if I remember correctly the game is called bulldozer..... ^^*
I could find the floppy disc(s) that are unlabeled.... it is on ONE of those ^^* (Did a complete reinstall of the system two weeks ago, on a side note.... never letting my brothers use my computer again)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

aaammmsterdddam wrote:well, if I remember correctly the game is called bulldozer..... ^^*
I could find the floppy disc(s) that are unlabeled.... it is on ONE of those ^^* (Did a complete reinstall of the system two weeks ago, on a side note.... never letting my brothers use my computer again)
Strange that you told us you were still playing it, though you don't have it on your computer.
Cube_

Post by Cube_ »

Because I am still playing it, well was until about two weeks ago.
I play old games... next on my cycle is doom.