Best C++ Compiler

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
rubenwardy

Best C++ Compiler

Post by rubenwardy »

I am using VC++ 2010 at the moment, but is there a free compiler that exports for mac/linux?
kazymjir

Re: Best C++ Compiler

Post by kazymjir »

CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

The answer is gcc. But I'm not 100% certain about the question as a compiler doesn't export but compile. There's 2 things - compiling on a platform or compiling for another target platform. The first one is usually the easier thing - like working on Windows and compiling for Windows or working on Linux and compiling for Linux. Gcc also supports targeting another platform than the one you work on, but it's more complicated and nothing I would recommend for a beginner.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
rubenwardy

Post by rubenwardy »

i meant compile, sorry
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

If you was using VC++ before, try use NetBeans IDE: http://netbeans.org/downloads/index.html .
It works on Windows/Linux/MacOS platforms and uses GCC, you will be able to compile code from IDE window - same like in VC++.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

crosscompiling is very hard I agree. I tried few times compiling also for linux from windows and don't succeded :(
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
hendu

Post by hendu »

If you want to compile -for- linux -from- windows I have to question your sanity...
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

http://metamod-p.sourceforge.net/cross- ... linux.html

anyway i abandoned the idea lot of time ago. Is probably easier install Linux and do all from Linux partition :(
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
hendu

Post by hendu »

I'm not saying it can't be done. Merely that it's not really useful from any point of view.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

:) and that's why I never tried that again
- by Me
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, the Android SDK and lots of other tool suites do provide a way to cross compile even from Windows. But still it's often much easier to use a native environment. For OSX I doubt that there is any chance besides working on a Mac.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

does android have a native environment? :)

Some times ago goole announced a unified game platform.. maybe they will have too also online-compiling capabilities :D
- by Me
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yes of course, you can compile on andoroid systems. But I'd even count all other Linux systems in, which have a largely similar system layout and provide an environment which fits better to the compiler suite.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

Very nice, :) I'm tempted about using Irrlicht API + my rendering Engine core (openGL ES) and make Irrlicht becomes a Lightweight and Fast engine for Android in C++/plus Java wrapper.. better I stays with feet on ground else I'll do nothing more then nothing XD
- by Me
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

hendu wrote:If you want to compile -for- linux -from- windows I have to question your sanity...
This, the sanest thing I have heard this week.
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"