3D Model Animation Tools

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
IrrGnu

3D Model Animation Tools

Post by IrrGnu »

In the features page of this site it says

"Currently supported mesh file formats:
Animated objects:

B3D files (.b3d, r, skeleton)
Microsoft DirectX (.x, r) (binary & text, skeleton)
Milkshape (.ms3d, r, skeleton)
Quake 3 models (.md3, r, morph)
Quake 2 models (.md2, r, morph)
"
What programs are used to make these models types? When I searched for B3D it didn't seem to give me anything which was to do with a tool in which to make B3D models.

My only experience making 3D models is via 3DS max when I was at uni and since it costs a lot, I'm looking for a free (or at least, at not $5000+) modeling tool to use.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Re: 3D Model Animation Tools

Post by Cube_ »

well, I'd recommend blender.

I don't know if there is an addon for b3d, but one could just write it (assuming one has sufficient skill in python)
http://www.blender.org -check it out :D
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
Korppi

Post by Korppi »

There is a B3D exporter for Blender 2.62

http://supertuxkart.svn.sourceforge.net ... runk/util/
krom

Post by krom »

My opinion, after using 3dsmax for many years, I finally switched to blender and never looked back.
Things are bit different but all together it is just as powerful tool to use, and once you get used to the gui and workflow it feels better than working in 3dsmax.
And its free:)

krom
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

oh :O
Thanks for the plugin!
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Thanks for the B3d plugin! :) Does it export animations too though?
Korppi

Post by Korppi »

ACE247 wrote:Does it export animations too though?
Yes, it does export an animations. :)
IrrGnu

Post by IrrGnu »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll give blender a shot. I've never used it before though, so first thing will be to find me some tutorials
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

What I'll find usefull is a free-opensource editor wich is able to bind a skeleton and a animation to a simple mesh (obj for example). Blender is really hard for me to use for making animated characters. Most problems are when need to link bones and armatures to the model. The few tutorials i followed and showed a right animation ended up in a model wich was not exported correctly. I want something like:

right-clik on a joint -> bone added.
->drag n drop to adjust bones
->autobindig of vertices to bones using "volumetric zones" instead of vertex paiting.

poses + interpolation between poses + noise for movements.

Most tools will attemp to do everything but they have a long learning curve. A utility like that will be very usefull and easy to learn/use. But i'm dreaming, there's nothing like that existing.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
hendu

Post by hendu »

Maybe try misfit model 3d. I've used it for simple modelling and animating, it's much easier to use than blender.
fmx

Post by fmx »

REDDemon wrote:What I'll find usefull is a free-opensource editor wich is able to bind a skeleton and a animation to a simple mesh (obj for example). Blender is really hard for me to use for making animated characters. Most problems are when need to link bones and armatures to the model. The few tutorials i followed and showed a right animation ended up in a model wich was not exported correctly. I want something like:

right-clik on a joint -> bone added.
->drag n drop to adjust bones
->autobindig of vertices to bones using "volumetric zones" instead of vertex paiting.

poses + interpolation between poses + noise for movements.

Most tools will attemp to do everything but they have a long learning curve. A utility like that will be very usefull and easy to learn/use. But i'm dreaming, there's nothing like that existing.
I dont like Blender either...

Have you tried Milkshape?
its old but gets the job done with minimal headaches

I would recommend buying 3DS Max or something and learning to use it properly though :wink:
IrrGnu

Post by IrrGnu »

Buy 3ds max? Noo thanks. I don't have $5000 plus $1000 a year to through around. I used it a lot in uni and I basically concluded each year added nothing meaningful. I didn't have to pay as I had a student version, but although I know how to use it, I want something free.

Hadn't heard of Misfit model 3D or Milkshape before, so I've searched around for stuff on them.

Misfit doesn't appear to be supported anymore or work on windows vista, so I might leave that one.
Milkshape looks interesting, but appears to require money for.

Hm.. I dunno, I might stick with Blender for now, I want something fairly powerful so that after I've spent the time learning it, I don;t need to learn other tools to do other stuff. 3Ds max is a pain in the neck itself to use, so having something tricky to learn isn't new to me :P
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

Have a look at the Tool List.

I like Wings3D a lot since i am a noob at modeling and it's very easy to use.
"Whoops..."
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Yes, I used Wings3D as well, it's very easy to use :) (but only handles static meshes tho iirc)
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
hendu

Post by hendu »

Misfit doesn't appear to be supported anymore or work on windows vista, so I might leave that one.
Where'd you get "unsupported on Vista"? The home page merely states that nobody has used it on Vista and said that it works, which tells more about the popularity of Vista ;)

As for not developed, true, but if the current features work for you, it's a free app.