Another Birthday project

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
pilesofspam

Another Birthday project

Post by pilesofspam »

This is the first one I've ever done without using Irrlicht, but I thought I might drop it here in 'Off Topic' in case anybody was interested.

My son Ben turns 7 this year, and for his birthday party we (we= Ben and me) are building a roller coaster simulator, The party isn't until July, so progress isn't fast and furious yet. My plan is to have 1 or 2 kids sit on the motion platform in a single roller coaster car, and select the coaster of their choice with a wiimote (this is all driven by, essentially, an HTML page on the same server as apache). Selecting the coaster dishes to a program that I've written that loads a script file associated with the chosen coaster. This script file contains all the time, pitch, and roll info for a video taken from the front seat of a roller coaster. I'm running mplayer in slave mode, and as I pass the time indicated in the script file, the appropriate action takes place.

So far, here's what I've got:
1. Roller coaster videos- I've got about 10 that I can use for this- got them from Theme Park Review.
2. Backend program to drive it all- written in plain old C. At appropriate video times, it dishes the position commands out of a USB serial port.
3. REALLY big homemade servos built and tuned. Found some Klauber gearmoters that my company was scrapping in some other equipment, and I couldn't find anything wrong with the motors. I'll put up more details on these, as well as the feedback and control method if anyone is interested.
4. Motion platform underway. It's 3' x 3' (just short of 1Mx1M), but I haven't gotten the seats built yet, or the servos installed. Waiting for some linkage parts.

Here's a screenshot of the beginning of one of the coasters:
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Re: Another Birthday project

Post by Cube_ »

WOW.
You are seriously the most awesome dad ever, I wish I had a good dad... your son(s?) are truly lucky.
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Holodeck coming next? :-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Wow you could almost even make a flight simulator! But this sim doesn't have vertical acceleration? So only angle changes of the rig as it moves. Impressive nonetheless!
Wish you much luck!
pilesofspam

Post by pilesofspam »

No acceleration! It would be great to have a motion sim with translation in my basement though. Probably the most convincing way to do it would be to mount a big monitor in front of the participants that pitches and rolls with the platform, and then move the platform to simulate all of those forces, but that wouldn't be any fun for the spectators. Since this is a party game, the spectators are important! So I'll put the video on a big projector screen and keep the platform facing that direction with pitch and roll. Most homebuilt motion sims that I looked at also include 'yaw' by swiveling the entire platform around its CG. Maybe sometime in the future I'll include it as well.

Here's a few pictures of progress. First, the universal joint that this thing moves about on. In action, this one had a little bit of play in the twist axis (weld and surrounding metal isn't strong enough to prevent twist) so last night I cut, drilled and bolted some 2" angle iron onto that axis. No more twist. I'll get a picture of that final version up soon.

Next, here is a picture of the 12V gear motor an some miscellaneous parts used to assemble a servo. I already have the torque arm attached at this point:

Later, here is a picture of the servo in action. I'm running the whole thing with an arduino. This is a great little hardware platform that features an AVR microprocessor with all the hardware support you need for basic functionality. The arduino also has a USB-serial port built in which makes connectivity to the PC pretty easy. I just send position and speed info for each axis over the serial port and let the arduino take care of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqbPPJ2jtVE
pilesofspam

Post by pilesofspam »

Sorry about a complete lack of updates. I decided to enter the project in RedBull Creation, and changed the control board over to the 'Bullduino' that they sent me. I put up full details, source, and a video of the whole thing here:
http://ballisticlocomotive.wordpress.com/

But, if you just want to check out the 2 minute entry video, it's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExpqaoh6Uk
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Nice! Thats worthy of a mention on Hack a Day, I'd say. ;)