Light probes

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Adversus

Light probes

Post by Adversus »

Has anyone implemented these in irrlicht?

I'm talking about something similar to what Unity has.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentatio ... robes.html
Mel
Competition winner

Re: Light probes

Post by Mel »

I tried them. They are not worth if you have deferred lighting.

Still, you can use a lighting manager, and create your own system. Check the example 21 which is conceptually very similar. Research for spherical harmonics. and irradiance volumes and you can achieve very similar results.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

light probes are mostly useful only in mobile phones or older hardwares.
sudi

Post by sudi »

Dunno what light probes are but do you mean this?
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... t=deferred
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

No, light probes are references for the lighting at specified places. When an object moves close to these light probes, they pick their lighting. But if you have deferred rendering, you can light the object with the deferred lights directly. Is a quick way to lit the objects without the need of deferred rendering,
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

sudi

Post by sudi »

Ahh i see so it a way to simulate indirect lightning then? or really just lightning made simple for mobile platforms
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
fmx

Post by fmx »

Light probes provide a useful way of getting local light information, just another way of managing large clusters of lights.

Not limited to only mobile platforms or older hardware, they can be used alongside lightmaps and other lighting methods for very good results, checkout some of the stuff Valve have been doing with different types of light probes
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

In fact, combined to a deferred renderer, it could provide a complete lighting solution. The light probes give the ambient lighting and the deferred lighting the difuse component.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

even a linear gradient will works better than ambient light. and light probes are much better than a linear gradient
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Adversus

Post by Adversus »

Shame no-one has done this. Would have been nice.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I have done them, but i don't use them any more ^^U
Adversus

Post by Adversus »

No chance you're willing to share? :-)
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Hehehehehe... Good one...

Who knows where are those codes now... =_=U