Linux +nvidia +OpenGL +irrlicht 0.7.1 lighting problem

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
nixnerd

Linux +nvidia +OpenGL +irrlicht 0.7.1 lighting problem

Post by nixnerd »

Hello,

I'm using mandrake linux 10.1 with an nvidia graphics card (openGL)

Having complied the examples, they all appear to be being drawn in "fullbright" mode - rather than showing the subtle lighting effects visible when running under DX in windows.

I've tried compiling my own version of the linux irrlicht binaries which made no difference, likewise I've also tried the irrlichtNX version with the same result.

All other linux programs which use OpenGL like quake3 and suchlike run fine.

I'd be pleased to provide further information, if anyone is able to assist me in tracking down this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
nixnerd

correction - some but not all examples work correctly...

Post by nixnerd »

Hello again!,

Here's a quick correction to my earlier post. Some examples on linux using openGL compile and run fine (i think!) while others don't. Bearing in mind these are using linux binaries for irrlicht 0.7.1 that I've compiled - not the supplied ones. Here's my findings:

example no. result
01 runs ok
02 exhibits "fullbright" problem
03 not sure - no "shading" but runs
04 segfault upon running
05 segfault upon running
06 seems to run ok
07 exhibits "fullbright" problem
08 runs ok
techdemo segfaults upon running

Re: correction - some but not all examples work correctly...

Post by Guest »

Hello yet again!,

Here's a quick correction to my earlier post. Some examples on linux using openGL compile and run fine (i think!) while others don't. These are using linux binaries for irrlicht 0.7.0 as supplied. Here's my findings:

example no. result
01 runs ok
02 exhibits "fullbright" problem
03 not sure - no "shading" but runs
04 exhibits "fullbright" problem
05 should there be a background picture in the dialog box?
06 seems to run ok
07 exhibits "fullbright" problem
08 runs ok
techdemo exhibits "fullbright" problem
mm765

Re: Linux +nvidia +OpenGL +irrlicht 0.7.1 lighting problem

Post by mm765 »

nixnerd wrote:I've tried compiling my own version of the linux irrlicht binaries which made no difference, likewise I've also tried the irrlichtNX version with the same result.
if you had the same results then you did something wrong.

Re: Linux +nvidia +OpenGL +irrlicht 0.7.1 lighting problem

Post by Guest »

mm765 wrote:
nixnerd wrote:I've tried compiling my own version of the linux irrlicht binaries which made no difference, likewise I've also tried the irrlichtNX version with the same result.
if you had the same results then you did something wrong.
And that would be what exactly?
mm765

Post by mm765 »

look at this picture: its a mix of the quakedemo and the one with the waterscenenode ..linux opengl
see the lighting?
http://www.irrlichtnx.mmdevel.de/maint/water_nx.png
nixnerd

Linux +irrlicht 0.7 +nvidia +openGL problems

Post by nixnerd »

Hello mm756,

Thanks for posting that picture.

Thats what I'm getting under windows, but not under Linux.

Are you using an nvidia card?

As I'm running kernel 2.6, I had to compile the nvidia card driver against my kernel source - would this cause a problem?

Seems odd I get the same lighting/fullbright problems if I use the supplied irrlicht binaries or compile my own. Could it be a problem with irrlicht linking to the wrong library files?

Whats the absolute minimum library files I should need?

Would having old/other libMesa/OpenGL/GLUT libraries or headers on my machine cause problems?

If so, how can I ensure irrlicht wont use the incorrect files in preference to the correct ones?
mm765

Post by mm765 »

im using a nvidia card myself but im still using kernel 2.4 dont know if thats the problem but i doubt it.
the other thing i could have been clearer about is that you will get this result with nx only - which is why i thought you prolly did something wrong when you tested nx..
nixnerd

dratted irrlicht >:-(

Post by nixnerd »

mm765 wrote:im using a nvidia card myself but im still using kernel 2.4 dont know if thats the problem but i doubt it.
the other thing i could have been clearer about is that you will get this result with nx only - which is why i thought you prolly did something wrong when you tested nx..
Hiya mm765,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yeah, I also doubt that 2.6 kernel would be the cause of the problem.

I did try nx as well - but got exactly the same results which is why I thought it was most likely to be my install/setup that was the cause of the problems.

I'm still not sure what to think.

I'd love to hear any success stories form those who have a similar Linux/hardware setup to mine though.
nixnerd

irrlicht/irlichtnx problems on Linux +nvidia +OpenGL

Post by nixnerd »

Having scoured both the irrlicht and irrlichtnx fourums for further information regarding this problem, I've noticed this bug appears to have been present for some considerable time, certainly with Irrlicht.

Meanwhile, I've installed Crystalspace 0.97 from Mandrake RPM's - which seems not to exhibit the same problems.

I'm now going to attempt to compile CrystalSpace 0.98 from source under XP and Linux.

However, Irrlicht looks like a very nice engine, so if anyone manages to find a solution to the Linux lighting bug, I'd be most interested to hear about it
mm765

Post by mm765 »

hmm...if you got some time, come to irc so we can talk about it (i saw that you were there for about 5secs at some point).
i know that it works with irrlichtnx and i think its probably your setup.
nixnerd

Thnx mm765 I'll do that...

Post by nixnerd »

mm765 wrote:hmm...if you got some time, come to irc so we can talk about it (i saw that you were there for about 5secs at some point).
i know that it works with irrlichtnx and i think its probably your setup.
Thanks mm765 I'll do that, and I think you're right it probably is my setup <sigh>

:wink:
nixnerd

mm765 (magic) - you're my hero!

Post by nixnerd »

Just a quick post to thank mm765 for all his good natured and tireless help and assistance in helping me get irrlichtnx running on my linux box.

Having spent a good deal of his time in trouble shooting my setup via IRC.

My hat goes off to you mm765, you sir are a true gentleman.

:D