Team for a game project

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
aeronmike

Team for a game project

Post by aeronmike »

Hello everyone..

Well, let me explain what my idea is:

I am an intermediate C/C++ programmer (there are still some advanced concepts and practice I still need to get and I'm graduating in Computer Science) and I decided to make a game. A SIMPLE INDIE game.
I made a good part of the game designs and concepts. The ideas are really amazing for the project.

Ok, but what kind of game is it?
Well, I cannot talk to much about it.
But just for you to have an idea, I want to basically create a game based mainly on Minecraft.. and other few ones.

I've organized myself and my project files so everything was set up.
Ok. I started coding the "graphical" module first, of course, using Irrlicht.
I also pre-defined "stages" of development. Each Alpha stage has functionality objectives, like loading configuration from files, GUI, pause/resume, movement, etc.
Everything is going well and I'm also acquiring a great amount of experience doing this.
I'm also using GIT to organize my code and its changes and milestones (the stages).

However, there are a lot of things to be done, like the physics, sound, maths and artificial intelligence, for instance.
I KNOW I can do that all alone. I LOVE to create things using programming. Also this is my life plan. :)

Well, in just one month I got a lot of stuff ready and working.
But this is JUST a prototype of the game. After it's all finished, I'll begin to "change" (enhance) it a bit so I can have the real idea up and working.
I just believe if I dedicate myself a bit more and increase it's development speed, I could finish this PROTOTYPE at the end of this year. Minecraft is a simple game (apparently LoL).
But as I said, this is just a simple clone of Minecraft, not even equal.

The problem IS:
I really wish to work with someone else on that. I don't have friends that programs in C and/or C++, so it's is really difficult for me to get someone that I may trust into the project. :(
So, I was thinking about let my source to be open to the ones who wish to help me out. Yes, I'm trying to "recruit" some friends LoL
But you must be asking yourself "Well, but why would someone want to help?".
Yeah, as I said, this is JUST a prototype. People would just help me to build a simple clone of Minecraft. It does not even need to have an artificial intelligence or world generation. Just the BASICS of a game like graphics, sounds and gui.

This is such a very important project for my carrier, and I would REALLY REALLY appreciate some "team" help on that. Even if you are also like me... You don't need to be advanced. If you want to help, you are helping LoL

Well, depending on how our co-working flows, I intend to let those who really want to be in to make part of the "beyond the prototype development".

So, please, if you are really interested, you bet I'll count on you.
Please, if so, eMail me at aeronmike@gmail.com and the subject as "0513".

Thanks A LOT for the attention!
ANY questions I'm here.
:wink:
Virion
Competition winner

Re: Team for a game project

Post by Virion »

Actually, even Minecraft clone is quite a huge project. it looks simple but behind the scene, there are many things going on such as batching, culling, etc. to make the game run smooth. Anyway I still wish to see this project to turn successful. All the best.
aeronmike

Post by aeronmike »

Yeah I know :P

Of course, the complexity of Minecraft version 1.3 (actual - 08/07/2012) is MUCH higher.
But as I said, I just want to make a "basic" clone. Exactly as the classic Minecraft, avaiable for free at http://www.minecraft.net/classic/play

But, thanks anyway! LoL :)
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

The classic Minecraft is a complex game too. To make a clone it requires excellent knowledge of both 3d and game programming, especially culling and batching techniques.
"Whoops..."
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

I had a friend did minecraft clone with unity in few days.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
aeronmike

Post by aeronmike »

Hmm interesting!

I was thinking about this possibility, since I'd like some fast results.
However I also appreciate to have full control on what is going on in my game (engine).
Also, I use a Linux OS for developments, and Unity does not support it. :(

But I'll give a try on Windows! LoL :P
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

REDDemon wrote:I had a friend did minecraft clone with unity in few days.
Unity has built-in batching (both static and dynamic) and culling techniques.