L4D2 faster in linux than in windows

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
hendu

L4D2 faster in linux than in windows

Post by hendu »

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTE1MjI

L4D2 windows dx: 270fps
linux gl: 315fps
windows gl: 303fps

Suck it, DX ;) They mention the windows gl > dx result is due to dx having more overhead per batch.
ACE247

Re: L4D2 faster in linux than in windows

Post by ACE247 »

I'm with you on that one, suck it DX! :D

PS: More interesting would be to know If we will get Source SDK along with Hammer available for Linux too. :wink:
To think of it, this also confirms that Phoronix can well be trusted.
eejin

Post by eejin »

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/83505/left-4 ... ect3d.html

Roughly translated from dutch

De programmeurs van Valve denken echter dat ze weten waar het verschil door veroorzaakt wordt en hopen de DirectX-drivers nog te kunnen verbeteren.

The programmer of valve think they know what is causing the difference and are hoping to improve the DirectX drivers.

This doesn't mean that Directx will stay slower. And why are you guys all so negative about Directx. It's almost as annoying as people whining about Internet explorer.
hendu

Post by hendu »

The original is in English ;)
And why are you guys all so negative about Directx. It's almost as annoying as people whining about Internet explorer.
You really see nothing wrong with either DX or IE?
eejin

Post by eejin »

hendu wrote:The original is in English ;)
And why are you guys all so negative about Directx. It's almost as annoying as people whining about Internet explorer.
You really see nothing wrong with either DX or IE?
It depends on what you want but I want a lightwight browser with a clean interface. Ofcourse if you stopped using IE after version 7 of 8 you don't understand.
I'm not that experienced yet so I would like to know why you think Directx is so bad. And even if it is bad you don't have to continue whining about it. It's not like it killed a family member and you want it behind prison bars.
I don't know the original source but I doubt that that is "the" tech website.
hendu

Post by hendu »

Yay, offtopic forum section ;)

I stopped using IE after version 3, FYI. And Windows after 2000.
It depends on what you want but I want a lightwight browser with a clean interface. Ofcourse if you stopped using IE after version 7 of 8 you don't understand.
It's bad because it's non-standard and insecure, and for a long time it caused a phenomenon known as IE-only sites. Want to log to your bank? "Sorry, you need IE." It was that bad at its height, and not even only browser sniffing, actually broken sites.

This has no bearing on its user interface, which is usable.
I'm not that experienced yet so I would like to know why you think Directx is so bad.
Lock-in. Even if it cured cancer and made everything wonderful, it's horrible due to the lock-in.

Technically, just like current IE, it's not too bad, discounting requiring C++, horrible style, and having little to no backward compatibility. It's the other qualities that make it bad.
And even if it is bad you don't have to continue whining about it
I hit a nerve it seems. Where do I continuously whine about it? I have one sentence in the off-topic section.
I don't know the original source but I doubt that that is "the" tech website.
If you follow the link, the original source is Valve's blog.
eejin

Post by eejin »

It's bad because it's non-standard and insecure, and for a long time it caused a phenomenon known as IE-only sites. Want to log to your bank? "Sorry, you need IE." It was that bad at its height, and not even only browser sniffing, actually broken sites.
Whats so insecure then?
Lock-in. Even if it cured cancer and made everything wonderful, it's horrible due to the lock-in.

Technically, just like current IE, it's not too bad, discounting requiring C++, horrible style, and having little to no backward compatibility. It's the other qualities that make it bad.
If you want to just show how bad it is you don't have to overdo it. And everybody want everything to be wonderful (except gothics). And what exactly is lock-in?
I hit a nerve it seems. Where do I continuously whine about it? I have one sentence in the off-topic section.
Well a lot of people complain about IE or Directx but sorry for insulting you.
If you follow the link, the original source is Valve's blog
My bad. But programmers still think they can make it evenly fast under Directx
We have been doing some fairly close analysis and it comes down to a few additional microseconds overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL on Windows. Now that we know the hardware is capable of more performance, we will go back and figure out how to mitigate this effect under Direct3D.
hendu

Post by hendu »

eejin wrote:Whats so insecure then?
I can't name any general thing, you should just watch the security vulnerabilities flowing and make up your own mind.
IE 9 and later are certainly better, but they still seem to have much more holes than other browsers.
And what exactly is lock-in?
I'm not the right person to explain that. The wikipedia page explains it pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in
My bad. But programmers still think they can make it evenly fast under Directx
We have been doing some fairly close analysis and it comes down to a few additional microseconds overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL on Windows. Now that we know the hardware is capable of more performance, we will go back and figure out how to mitigate this effect under Direct3D.
That's the deal, they most likely cannot. Only AMD, Nvidia etc can. (Or Microsoft, if it happens to be in common dx code and not the vendor part)
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

In general I just hate/mildly dislike OS locked API's/Library's. It's like being a Vegitarian, If I can only use Dx on Windows. If you dont agree with that,well... ;)
I want my Code to run anywhere right out of the box, not spend ages making soya meat!