Call overhead stats

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Nadro

Re: Call overhead stats

Post by Nadro »

Hmmm... Yep, thats right. Handle it on application side is a better aproach.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
hendu

Post by hendu »

Quest continues. Adding tracking for the matrix mode removed 765 redundant state calls.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=540678
hendu

Post by hendu »

Added similar tracking for the active texture, dropped 883 state calls. No patch because it would conflict with the previous patch, blame your choice of SVN for that ;)

Hey - it's now less than half of where we started from! 9535 gl calls per frame now. 3714 us total overhead, 1797 us without drawcalls.

Look how nice the call count is now: http://pastebin.com/HG5wukwN
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Reading this thread almost makes me cry... We need some serious cleanup in Irrlicht!
Anyway what tool are you using to get the info?
hendu

Post by hendu »

Apitrace to gather the gl calls, then just basic unix tools to format it nicely (awk, sed, cut...).

I'm afraid that I'm now out of low-hanging fruit, but having dropped 51.5% of state calls in two days (20k -> 9k), I'd say I feel good about the work so far.
It saved 1.3ms of time per frame in my app, and this is on a Phenom II, so the effect should be greater on weaker cpus.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Ah thanks, nice tool. Will see what sort of differences I can get and where I can fix stuff.
And to the admins, when will the patches be svn merged?
hendu

Post by hendu »

Probably not for 1.8, with it being close to release (*cough*) and these having chances of breaking some rare case.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Wow just had a look with Demo example, upto 3080 calls/frame and a lot of repetition of calls.
Anyway I kinda gotta get used to the software a bit.
hendu

Post by hendu »

Now re-test with my irr branch ;)
hendu

Post by hendu »

Eh, there *is* some more easy fruit: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards ... r-glTexEnv

There's some 250 calls to set the lod bias. According to the above, it's *per-unit* state, and so much cheaper to track than per-texture state. Perhaps I'll add that today, maybe not.
hendu

Post by hendu »

Added. It successfully removed all 253 calls that set the lod bias to 0 (the default).
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

I wonder why that sort of stuff ever happened when the code was first written... :?
Probably a variation of RTFM, I guess.
Anyway, Will I have to apply all of the non-svn patches by curaga? Unfortunately I'll only get to testing with your patches tomorrow Afternoon.
teto

Post by teto »

Nice work. Glad you did it since it was on my todo.
Using trunk with mingw/gcc 4.6, Windows 7 64 bits driver opengl
hendu

Post by hendu »

ACE247 wrote:I wonder why that sort of stuff ever happened when the code was first written... :?
Probably a variation of RTFM, I guess.
Usually it's a "make it work" thing, efficiency comes later if at all.
Anyway, Will I have to apply all of the non-svn patches by curaga? Unfortunately I'll only get to testing with your patches tomorrow Afternoon.
All posted patches are svn? Or do you want to grab things from my git?
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Wow! Guys you are really good! Ready at this I really feel like a cavemen! :) The only thing I understood is that it should optimize the way we use shaders and make them faster. Is there a good book on that or a site with training info?