Bumpmapping

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
elvencode

Bumpmapping

Post by elvencode »

Hi niko,
are you already implementing bumpmapping ? i ask because in my project i need to set some surfaces with a particular effect, i dont want a global bumpmapping because i'll become a lot hard to render. i'd like for example set a rock wall with a bump detail map, some metal parts with some reflections/translucency, etc. but i dont know it'll be however difficult to calculate lights differently from a "plain" texture of a wall and the "bump" one next to this.
have you any idea/already coding something? i'd like to not use shaders for now, because are not very compatible with many cards. bump for GeForce 2 and up,Radeon 7000 and up. pixel effects with GeForce 3/4 and up, ATI 8500 and up, the most compatible choice. it's better more support than better effects but that works only on too early hardware.
just my 2 cents :wink:
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

The development page says
Bump map Support 0% Planned Draws 3d geometry texured with bump maps
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

yeah, but in the Feature Request thread (or somewhere else) niko told he planned to start coding it soon. i'd like to know if there's some update :wink:

however for better compatibilty with older cards, it's possible to have an emboss bump with no much problems also in older hardware, the dot3 one works with certain cards (i talk of OpenGL)
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

I'd love to implement this, but I currently not really have the time, but be sure, its one of the top 10 items on my TODO list. :)