World is too small

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
ItsBritneyBitch

World is too small

Post by ItsBritneyBitch »

I'm loading VMF (Valve Hammer Map Files) files into irrlicht using the exact same units. For example, 64 units equals 1.2 meters in Hammer. The thing is, everything looks quite smaller from the camera's perspective. I can't seem to find a setting to make the camera smaller or scale it down somehow (aspect ratio or FOV settings have nothing to do with this). I also don't want to scale the geometry up. Is there any way to make 64 units look like 1.2 meters in Irrlicht? (For example, when rendering a triangle 64 units tall)
codetiger

Re: World is too small

Post by codetiger »

ItsBritneyBitch wrote:everything looks quite smaller from the camera's perspective
Looks small relative to which object? I think you are relating it to the software that you use to design the 3d Models. FOV, location of the camera and location of the objects are the factors affecting the size of the rendered images.
IrrNaCl - Irrlicht Port for Google Chrome Native Client - Demo

Iyan 3D - Make your own 3d animation using your iOS Device
hendu

Post by hendu »

Camera move speed also affects perception, if you're using the default FPS camera.
ItsBritneyBitch

codetiger wrote:
ItsBritneyBitch wrote:everything looks quite smaller from the camera's perspective
Looks small relative to which object? I think you are relating it to the software that you use to design the 3d Models. FOV, location of the camera and location of the objects are the factors affecting the size of the rendered images.
Let's say I have a 64x64 quad both in Irrlicht and in Hammer. It looks quite smaller in Irrlicht.
codetiger

Post by codetiger »

The objects are rendered in different camera settings, that is why you see the difference in size. Post the camera settings in both environment.

ItsBritneyBitch

codetiger wrote:The objects are rendered in different camera settings, that is why you see the difference in size. Post the camera settings in both environment.
Hammer:
FOV: 90
Back clipping plane: 5000 (I guess this means far plane)

Irrlicht:
<default settings>
FOV: PI/ 2.5f (aprox 71 degrees)
Near clipping plane: 1
Far clipping plane: 2000

Still, changing any of these settings doesn't make things appear bigger. The only way I can do that is scaling geometry, but I really don't want to. Thanks for your help.
hendu

Post by hendu »

Just move your camera closer? ;)
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

Ok, I have been following this thread, couldn't it simply be that a unit in hammer is bigger than a unit in irrlicht? (Which means that if the unit is 10x bigger in hammer than in irrlicht the mesh will appear to be 10x smaller) Try scaling it up?
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
codetiger

Post by codetiger »

@aammmsterdddam
Even if the unit is 10x different, how would the rendering be affected? The distances will get scaled as well, and the final output should be the same.

As far as I understand, Scaling both units (distance and size units) in 3d does not change anything while rendering.

CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

@aamsterdddam: It's just numbers... and they are not changed on export/import. They just don't mean anything without camera and/or other objects for comparison. A number just _is_ , you can't tell if it's large or small without context.

Camera movement speed also plays a big role in how large objects feel.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
hendu

Post by hendu »

hendu wrote:Camera move speed also affects perception, if you're using the default FPS camera.
CuteAlien wrote:Camera movement speed also plays a big role in how large objects feel.
;)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

@hendu: Sorry, missed that :-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
MynithiX

Post by MynithiX »

I don't know if the problem is solved, or if this solution was post, but:

Code: Select all

node->setScale(core::vector3df(x,x,x));
helps :D
Two things are infinite: the stupidity of the humans and universe. I'm just not sure if the universe is really infinite!
YOLO
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi!
Are you sure about the scale?! Been working with the source engine on some projects... And the scale we use is not that at all. A character is around 72 units (6 feet tall - 2 meters )

Check here:
http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categ ... nsions.php