Opensource issues

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
REDDemon
Developer

Opensource issues

Post by REDDemon »

Another attemp to re-sell blender to gain money from third parties:

http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blend ... g-blender/

Shameless people does exist over the world

quoting few words from the article
But what can we do? Not much really... lawyers will be a waste of money on this. Best is as usual to just publicize this well. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" as a U.S. Supreme Court judge once said.
sad to see things like that anyway. Don't know how many of you was aware of this fact. and I'm helping a bit to publicize that :) (hoping no one will waste money on buying something that is totally free )
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
serengeor

Re: Opensource issues

Post by serengeor »

It's really sad to see these kind of things happening :?
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
hendu

Post by hendu »

Selling blender is totally legal. They failed in other ways, like using copyrighted art, and failing to mention the license.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

yes. is legal selling blender, is not legal taking copyright of blender and related (and not related too) artworks.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

But honestly, one would have to be pretty stupid to try and sell an unimproved blender...
Who with half a brain would buy it when they can get it free? :D
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Post by chronologicaldot »

^ There isn't any way to be sure of what's inside the program until you download it, which comes after paying for it in this case. People who don't know about Blender are likely to try it out. So, in the end, these sellers are hoping to snag people who haven't heard of Blender or who aren't aware its an exact copy.

This is just straight laziness. Why not be productive and make a cool plugin? Now THAT people would pay for AND you wouldn't get a bad reputation along with it.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

Well, I don't see the problem if they add something, but I do agree that it is pure lazy to do it this way (Now if they sold tutorials and bundled blender with it it'd be ok)
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"