Quake .BSP files

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Syphonix

Quake .BSP files

Post by Syphonix »

Let us say I were to download a quake3 map online.

For example, from http://www.hep.ucl.ac.uk/~pdm/personal/maps/

How would I use it in Irrlicht? If someone gets a map from that site to work, please explain it to me. I can get the demo Irrlicht bsp file to work, but not real Quake3 ones from the Internet.

Post by Guest »

The maps load fine for me?

After changing the names of the files I put it into irrq3 (cause I was too lazy to make a real project for it, that'd be a waste). The map "displayed" but I quickly fell through it because irrq3 doesn't know where the player starts. Also I couldn't see anything because Irrlicht could not find any of the textures, obviously.

The map is referencing textures from Quake3. So I imagine if you had Quake 3 and put its textures in the pk3 you could get it to work. You'll be missing some stuff though, for sure. Dynamix lights, shaders, stuff like that. but the BSP's structure, lightmaps, textures, they'll all be there.

Personally I'm making my own maps. Thanks to some Video tutorials posted on this very forum I'm able to use gmax to make all my BSP maps. Yay.