Ubuntu Phone! :D

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
ACE247

Ubuntu Phone! :D

Post by ACE247 »

Just unveiled by Mark Shuttleworth. It' looks sweet! And I totally want one!! :D
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone
polylux

Re: Ubuntu Phone! :D

Post by polylux »

It definately looks promising!
beer->setMotivationCallback(this);
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

looks great even if i'm not a linux user

i always though that the smartphones ecosystem was was to controled ubuntu seem a way to get the phone power users would like
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Good, good indeed! If it uses C++ instead of JAVA for development, is definately something worth
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Well you can use whatever language you want actually. But primarily it's Javascript with qml for the easy app making. Oh and opengl is exposed on this.
But it's yet to be realised by most people how awesome this can and will turn out to be. I'm already trying to get a nexus phone(which is what the demo uses) to install this on when the install is released. But as a little treat to start of, just having a terminal on my phone will be awesome enough.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Android uses primarily Java, and don't encourage any other lang, and iPhone needs to be a registered developper, and i don't like that. This looks like a promising platform to develop for, as it doesn't seem to tie you in any specific way.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

apple has an even bigger wall you need to have a mac to devlop for the phone you bought
drahdellort

Post by drahdellort »

This is really pants. Why anyone would use a phone OS other than windows RT is crazy. Windows RT can run metro apps which are much more modern and cool than crappy android which is all this phone runs. Also you have to pay for ubuntu!
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Windows RT is much worse than eg. iOS or even Android in my opinion. Metro apps don't have any advantages over other apps. And you are wrong... Ubuntu is free!

BTW. Ubuntu Phone looks really interesting. When MIR (Ubuntu display server) will be finished for desktop I'm interesting in prepare support for them in Irrlicht.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
troll Edhard

Post by troll Edhard »

Hello, my name is Edhard and I'm a troll. Not unlike Dr. Who, there are multiple incarnations of me (drahdellort). Please feel free to fall for any more trolls in the near and/or distant future :D
eejin

Post by eejin »

Nadro wrote:Windows RT is much worse than eg. iOS or even Android in my opinion. Metro apps don't have any advantages over other apps. And you are wrong... Ubuntu is free!
What's wrong with Windows RT?
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

I'm not sure but I think these are trolls/really weird bots...
As for what's wrong with Windows RT: Not really going to comment on that.........
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Wondering how many users will broke their smartphones when they found out how to login as root, lol!
hendu

Post by hendu »

If you check the IP of these edhards, you'll likely find that of entity...
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Well then go on, try it
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!