YASS - Yet Another Space Shooter

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Ronin

YASS - Yet Another Space Shooter

Post by Ronin »

We like to announce our first project using the irrlicht engine. We are three hobbyists, playing around with irrlicht for nearly one year by now. It is our very first attempt in programming generally, so don't expect too much, but have a look at http://www.yass.de.md, it is truly worth a look.

There you find some infos about the project, screenshots and a relatively stable running techdemo.

Have fun with it and make sure to leave us your opinion in our forum.

Ronin
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

That looks VERY nice. 8) Is this going to be similar to X-Wing Alliance?
Programmer of the Irrlicht Scene Editor:
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Thanks.

I never played X-Wing Alliance, so I can't say if it's going to be similar. But we don't know yet exactly what is going to become of this project at this stage. We do think a lot about it and we are open for anything. If you have proposals or ideas, let us know, there can't be to much inspiration... ;)
MasterD

Post by MasterD »

With the techdemo it is also possible to make your own levels and to add your own spaceships* to the game :)

There is no level editor, but if you want to, you can create (or modify existing) .xml files.

If you're interested, just ask how!

Greets and please post any comments or opinions!
Matthias

* in this case, you would have to overwrite existing models but that should not be a problem
YASS - Yet another Space Shooter
under Devolpment, see http://yass-engine.de
arras

Post by arras »

I was downloading it but was not able to run it.
Here is output of console window:

DirectX9 Renderer
Error initializing D3D.
Could not create DirectX9 driver.
Error: Could not load build-in Font.
Press any key to continue . . .

afther pressing key program terminate.

Radeon 7000/Radeon VE videodriver
AMD Athlon(tm) procesor
Windows XP / Windows 98
DirectX 9.0 Software Development Kit Update (Summer 2003) instaled

perhaps you can ad config screen at the begining running under software mode where player can choose between DX and OpenGL.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Thanks for your advice.

You're right, we made the assumption that everybody has DirectX 9 driver installed. DirectX 8 would been the better choice I suggest.

You can choose your preferred driver before startup though, just not as comfortable as a config screen. You have to edit the config file. But since it is XML it shouldn't get you in any trouble.

Just open ../bin/data/config.xml with notepad and find the following line:

<DriverType value="DirectX 9"></DriverType>

Replace "DirectX 9" with "OpenGL" or "DirectX 8". That should do it.

If you have any further problems, just ask.

edit: I overlooked you already have DirectX 9 installed. Maybe it runs with OpenGL or DirectX 8 though. Would be interesting. I wonder if someone else experienced similar problems, on all pc's we tested it it ran without probs.
YASS - Yet Another Space Shooter - www.yass-engine.de
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Now I remember!

I had the same problem a while ago. It is a problem with dx9 sdk summer update. Installing the newest non sdk release of dx fixes the problem, at least it fixed it for me. It is worth a try.

Do you have problems initializing directx 9 irrlicht devices in other irrlicht apps?
Phenix

Post by Phenix »

very nice project!
Unfortunally I haven't tried it in multiplayer mode. It should be very enjoying to go in portals searching for your friends to destroy!
It would be good to add a lot of enemy and some spectacular arcade-style weapons to kill them.
I like the meshes,too.
By the way,are you using f64 or f32?
Mr_Bloodworth

Post by Mr_Bloodworth »

Wrong thread :oops:
*if I stare at you Blankley its because I don't know hat you just said...im no coder*
arras

Post by arras »

Ronin >> well yes it was with dx9 sdk. I was reinstaling diferent wersion and it works now :)

Nice project. Are you going to implement some AI for ships or is it focused on multiplayer only?
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

@Phenix: We are using f64 for position.

@arras: We planned to implement some basic AI in the future, but what exactly we focus on is not exactly clear currently.
arras

Post by arras »

What kind of scale are you using for your virtual space? ...1unit in irrlicht = 1 meter, or 1 kilometer real ???
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

By now 1 irrlicht unit is 1 kilometer in real, but that is not satisfying. I would love to have 1 irrlicht unit = 1 meter, because than we could scale the spaceships accordingly. By now they are roundabout 500 km long. :)

The problem is, that the precision of the z buffer is not high enough to simulate such large distances. You can see z fighting even with that scale when you look at the earth from moon for example.

I don't know what I can do to get a higher precision, except for using a w buffer. I hope the precision of the w buffer would be enough to draw objects very near to the camera without artifacts, because the linear raising error of the w buffer allows the distances we need. I really would like to hear something about that issue from someone who already used a w buffer in some 3D application.
Phenix

Post by Phenix »

Have you tried a 24bit ZBuffer?
It SEEMS to work for me.
Have you ever seen this page?
http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/love ... uffer.html
Quite interesting.
arras

Post by arras »

Ronin >> yea, thats what I am fighting too + I want to be able to simulate whole solar system ...thats gona deal with some very huge distances. I dont know howe I gona do that right now.... :cry: