help with examples

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
askan

help with examples

Post by askan »

all examples aren't working, except the techdemo with opengl.
they always say, that they had problems by initializing the DirectX driver.
and why doesn't the software renderer in the techdemo work?
i tried it on a 1 ghz athlon with nvdidia tnt and on a 233 mhz pII with old 4meg ati.
could you please help me?
tnx
askan
Tequilla

Post by Tequilla »

Hi askan,

are you compiling with Linux or Windows, DevCPP or Visual C++?
darkliquid

Re: help with examples

Post by darkliquid »

askan wrote:all examples aren't working, except the techdemo with opengl.
they always say, that they had problems by initializing the DirectX driver.
and why doesn't the software renderer in the techdemo work?
i tried it on a 1 ghz athlon with nvdidia tnt and on a 233 mhz pII with old 4meg ati.
could you please help me?
tnx
askan
Hi, I don't claim to know what I'm talking about but here it goes....

Due to the fact that you are receiving problems with DirectX, I assume you are running Windows, otherwise DirectX problems are going to happen, DirectX only exists under windows. None-the-less though, the OpenGL backend should have kicked in instead if the DirectX one failed, try changing the code 'DT_DIRECTX' to 'DT_OPENGL' in the examples and recompile, if that solves your problems then lit is likely that your directx installation is messed up or something. If not, your on your own because I'm stumped.

As for the techdemo, well, the software mode was disabled if I am correct as it is far too slow, this is in the code, not your hardware as I am aware.

Sorry I'm not much help, but you haven't given much information about your system, things that should be mentioned in these types of problems is operating system and version, irrlicht version and whether your testing the prebuilt binaries or self-compiled ones. Also, I don't use windows at home at all so I'm a little rusty with helping people who use it.
http://www.darkliquid.net - Blog, art, poetry