Any good timers?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Any good timers?

Post by The_Glitch »

My project is a screensaver and I need a good method for retrieving if a certain amount of time has passed, windows requires this for the screensaver to close. I'm sure this community already has one so I'd save some time by asking the simplest efficient way of doing this.
jwatson1993

Re: Any good timers?

Post by jwatson1993 »

Irrlicht's device has a timer built into it. just do

Code: Select all

irrlichtdevice->getTimer();
. It keeps track of how many milliseconds have passed since the program opened, and can be stopped and started.
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

On Windows you probably need to enable the high-resolution timer.
tank202
Competition winner

Post by tank202 »

I myself always use native c++ "chrono" namespace timers. There are several types of them so I think you should find what you're looking among them.

Just google "c++ chrono" :D
Klunk

Post by Klunk »

roxaz

Post by roxaz »

all that high precision and perf counters are overkill, seriously. irrlicht uses GetTickCount() under the hood when not using high performance timer. GetTickCount() has 15ms resolution. That is plenty for just about anything.
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

You only have to *enable* the high-performance timer and GetTickCount will have millisecond accuracy. You don't have to *use* the HP timer.