[fixed] Antialiasing in demo is inconsistently set

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
Mel
Competition winner

[fixed] Antialiasing in demo is inconsistently set

Post by Mel »

The Antialiasing in the demo is incorrectly set, while in DX works just fine, the value that is expected in GL doesn't seem to have any meaning.

Code: Select all

params.AntiAlias=aa;//The aa variable is actually a Bool
It is an error which has been there for a long time already, and obviously hasn't been fixed. While in the release versions of Irrlicht, the antialiasing was meant to be enabled or disabled as a toggle, the SVN version used a value indicating the quality of the antialiasing used. In fact, it is more useful to have the antialiasing as a value, indicating the amount of samples we want to use. Hence, something like this:

Code: Select all

params.AntiAlias=aa?16:0;

Or any other aa value for OpenGL which works as expected, is the right way to go now. And works.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
hybrid
Admin

Re: Antialiasing in demo is inconsistently set (svn and 1.8.

Post by hybrid »

I think this was not properly updated when I changed the semantics of the field from bool to integer. DX has this special case '1' which means some magic anti-aliasing mode. Which is probably also not what is wanted, but works to some extent.
hybrid
Admin

Re: Antialiasing in demo is inconsistently set (svn and 1.8.

Post by hybrid »

I fixed it (in 1.8 branch), but could not get AA for OpenGL even after the fix. Not sure whether my system has problem or still some other issue exists.
Mel
Competition winner

Re: [fixed] Antialiasing in demo is inconsistently set

Post by Mel »

It is really a matter of inconsistency as well. It is mixing two working modes, either antialiasing as a switch or as a value, it should just stick to one, the one currently used, lucky it only affects the demo. The Antialiasing for both DX and GL works very well.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt