Relation between texture size and target mesh

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
ibax

Relation between texture size and target mesh

Post by ibax »

Hi,

What is the relation between the texture size and the target mesh, which will be "covered" with my texture?
I have a texture, the loading time is approximately 10 seconds. Its size was 4096 x 4096 x 72. So I made a quick test and resized the texture to 512 x 512 x 72. The loading time remains 10 sec ?!?!?!

The truth is, that the mesh which is covered with the texure, is relatively big: a ceiling of a whole floor, which contains several rooms. I made a baked texture, every room has different lighting property. One baked texture for all the four rooms, which is the overall ceiling in the actual floor.

So is this the problem? If I would like to cover a big mesh, than the texture loading time will be longer? Does irrlicht doing the texture placement immediately after its loading?
greenya

Re: Relation between texture size and target mesh

Post by greenya »

What is 72?
What makes you think that 10 sec is a loading time of a texture (not a mesh), since you have reduced a texture size dramatically and loading time didn't get changed?

If you have a floor and a lot of rooms it is better you split a floor on each room. Because if you come to point where you would like do not draw thing which are not visible (kind of optimization), you will end up that floor is a single object which is always visible (only its small part, but nevertheless). Its is more flexible if you can turn-on/off distinct rooms from the drawing cycle (and by "room" i mean its floor too).
ibax

Re: Relation between texture size and target mesh

Post by ibax »

Hi,

72 is the DPI, sorry that I did not highlighted it...
Yes, the main point is the optimization, and I'm continuously checking, which texture is loading so long, and what can be the reason behind this. And during this checking it came out for me, that the texture resolution does not matters, the loading time depends on the mesh/area/object, which is covered with the texture --> if the mesh/object is bigger, than the texture loading time increases...
(The texture loading time is logged, so I can compare)