GNU-GPL Tron Legacy blender models, to export

About finding textures, models, soundeffects, music and whatever else your game needs. Can contain advertisements from websites selling that stuff.
jimy-byerley

GNU-GPL Tron Legacy blender models, to export

Post by jimy-byerley »

I frozen my last project, but I think my 3D models may be usefull for someone.
All this project is GNU, but can be in violation of copyrights (so, do as you feel).

Some screenshots of the game:
There is buildings too

The project repository you can bowse and download is
https://github.com/jimy-byerley/Tron-R-reboot-reloaded-
Last edited by jimy-byerley on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Re: GNU-GPL Tron Legacy blender models, to export

Post by Cube_ »

while this is under the GNU GPL it's still copyright infringement unless it's a licensed project, I somehow doubt it's a licensed project (TRON is a registered trademark and it's also copyrighted, TRON LEGACY is also a registered trademark, and indeed copyrighted. the visual aesthetic is also either copyrighted or trademarked (if not both, yes they can do that). Personally I'm not touching it for two reasons: I have no use for copyright infringing projects and I do no have the time to read the sources anyway), most people are bound to, or at least should, act with extreme care around this (which may or may not include ignoring it completely)
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
jimy-byerley

Post by jimy-byerley »

I know that TRON and TRON LEGACY are registered trademarks, but my project was named Tron-R. And I don't upload the film. In fact, Only the 3D mesh is under GPL. A license that does not prohibit the personnal modification or the diffusion of derivated.
The design of objects of the films is also under copyright, but I don't sell it.
Is it really possible for Disney to register the style "light and dark" ???? For me it's as creazy as registering the "western style" !

(PS: what's a 'sig' ?)
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

First of all, the style isn't only light and dark but even if it were: yes and no.
We'll use a simpler case than tron to describe the point (because tron is a vastly more complicated case study)

Namely tetris.
specifically the act of cloning the visual or gameplay aspects of tetris.
The “wholesale copying” of Tetris was troubling to the court, which found that the Tetris design, movement, playing field dimensions, display of “garbage lines,” appearance of “ghost” pieces, color changes and automatic fill-in of the game board at the end of the game (all of which were copied by Xio) were aesthetic choices, and were protected, original expressions of an idea. While the idea of a game that required one to rotate figures into a field was not protectible, the design of the component parts was. The court found that the overall look and feel of the games were nearly identical and that any differences between the two were “slight and insignificant.” The court concluded: “There is such similarity between the visual expression of Tetris and Mino that it is akin to literal copying. While there might not have actually been “literal copying” inasmuch as Xio did not copy the source code and exact images from Tetris, Xio does not dispute that it copied almost all of visual look of Tetris.”
read more:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... one-ruling
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/06/d ... ng-clones/

Or in other words, significant visual similarity is akin to literal copying to such an extent that in court you could possibly lose.
If we look at the case here: the first included image showcases a character that has striking similarities to the characters in TRON LEGACY, specifically in the dark suit, helmet, and glowing LED parts - but also more subtle details like the specific angles, the fact that there's a protruding ring on the back as well as the light disk in the characters hand in image #2.

This specifically is why I personally will not download it as I can't make any use of it what-so-ever, however your chances of getting sued are nonexistent to minimal (given that it's GPL'd they'd have to send a cease and desist or DMCA takedown notice first and only if you ignore that can you get sued).

Or to simplify this further: Yes, you are probably in copyright violation, however you may also be covered under fair use due to it being a nonprofit derivative art project (that's how I'd legally define it) - but this protection only really extends to you, I can't utilize it in any real way.
And yes, it's crazy - welcome to the world of US copyright law, trademark law, and patents.

as for sig: in this context I'd wager it'd be signature (sig is typical forum shorthand for signature, or the small piece of text that appears under every post a user makes - you currently do not seem to have one, refer to the hexadecimal text under my post for a visual idea of what a sig can look like - feel free to decode it as well, it's really only hex encoded ascii anyway).
jimy-byerley

Post by jimy-byerley »

Yes as you said, I really feel welcome to the world of copyright ... I didn't know it was possible to lock a film or a game style.

Oh yes I decoded your signature, I understand now. As it's hex, I think nobody in all forums have the same ^^ (but I will not write the translation here) !
Cube_

Post by Cube_ »

the world of copyright is confusing to more or less everyone.

And as for my sig, I'd hope no one has the same - they'd be plagiarizing my work and I'd defend my copyright to the fullest extent of the law or my laziness - whichever comes first... probably laziness :P