Let's have a contest!

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
saigumi

Let's have a contest!

Post by saigumi »

Seeing as how we are going to be getting a lot of new faces soon.

KnightofFlight reminded me of something that Pharoseer did last year. Both of them have made an Xmas Demo.

KoF's is a snowman on a mountain. Pharoseer's was an XMas tree with a train going around it and other effects. It was written in Javascript for WildTangent, though. This time, we are going to re-write it using Irrlicht and Audiere.

So, to make things interesting. Let's have a contest.

Make your best Winter Demo. Try to use as many base Irrlicht functions as possible.

The winner will receive a license for Milkshape.

Some rules:
1. All content, libraries, and tools used to produce the demo must be legitimate. No warez or stolen artwork and models. You may share artwork or models from other demos if the original author gives their expressed permission.
2. It must use Irrlicht, preferably version 0.4.1 or 0.4.2 when it is released.
3. The source code must be included with the entry. This is to raise the available examples of Irrlicht usage as well as allow other OS'es/Systems other than the one that was used to compile the application to run it. Personally, I have Windows XP with Mandrake 9.2 running in VMWare.

Enter as often as you like. You can update your demo as often as you like.

On December 20, 2003 12:01 AM, I will grab all the demos and announce the winner before December 25th. (Which of course, can not be Pharoseer or myself as we cannot participate and already have copies of Milkshape.)

I'll be setting up a sort of drop-box upload system for your demos this weekend to make it easier for those of you without webspace to post.

Good luck.[/b]
Crud, how do I do this again?
puh

Post by puh »

saigumi, am I understood right if I use cr@cked Milkshape3D I can't take part in the competition?
Toasty

Post by Toasty »

yay! :D

This is what the community needed! It'll draw people into making small attractive demo's as well instead of the normal 2 year, never actually finished project.

Top prize as well! I'll certainly attempt to get an entry in (if I get time).
/me rotates
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

puh wrote:saigumi, am I understood right if I use cr@cked Milkshape3D I can't take part in the competition?
Right.

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to tell on most models and textures.

It's mostly there for things like 3rd party dlls, libraries, fonts, midis, mp3s, etc. that have been cracked to remove protections or are licensed works. I've seen plenty of demos that use things like tracks from the latest Korn album... uh... yeah, I doubt Korn gave you permission to distrubute their stuff.

It takes just one set of eyes from one of the owning companies/parties to toss some major litigation here in the US, and many companies now-a-days have branches in UK, GR, CH, JP, AU, and IR. I have seen cease and desist letters for stupid things like a guy that had made South Park style pictures of himself and his wife for his site.

Also, it's there to weight on your concience. There are plenty of free and low cost alternatives to everything if you aren't able to pay for your own.

So far, Pharoseer has been hand crafting all of our models that aren't generated at run-time and I have been digging through Public Domain Xmas songs that I can legitamately use the MP3 or Midis for.
niko
Site Admin

Re: Let's have a contest!

Post by niko »

saigumi wrote:Make your best Winter Demo. Try to use as many base Irrlicht functions as possible.

The winner will receive a license for Milkshape.
[/b]
Wow! Very nice idea. :) You're spending a Milkshape license? Really generous of you, impressive! Hehe, I would take part in the competition if it would not be unfair. And I don't need a licesence either. :) But I am looking forward to see the demos. I'll announce the competition with the next website update :)
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

I already own Milky but I want to show off some of my work too! :P
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

well if you win you can give the liscence to me...............just thinking............ i haven't bought milkshape yet because every time i run it it crashes but if i double click on a model to load it it doesn't crash
then if i try to start a new model it then crashes
i checked about a year ago and it had the problem then i checked it again and it still had the problem
if it ever gets fixed i will probably buy it
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

lol, well if I win i'll just ask to pass the license down to the second place winner...
elvencode

Post by elvencode »

yeah, usually if the first in place refuse the prize, the second can accept it,and so on. better follow this way.
i'm already preparing the demo, it'd be better with the features of the upcoming version of the engine, but i'll try to make however something good :wink:
knightoflight

Post by knightoflight »

> KoF's is a snowman on a mountain
saigumi, thank you very much, that you noted my little snowmanthing :-)

oh, and i forgot - yes it is a very good idea, its like toasty said!
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

The other thing I just noticed is that my mind keeps adding an extra F to your nick... Knight of Flight... When it should have been Knight of Light.

KoL. =)
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

Isn't this nice... Dev-C++ stopped compiling ... correctly or something. I removed MOST of my code and deleted all the mesh loading functions... and rebuilt the whole project but yet it still loads everything :shock: And then it tries to lockup my PC so I have to close it.... :cry:
knightoflight

Post by knightoflight »

Saigumi wrote : > ...The other thing I just noticed is that my mind keeps adding an extra F to your nick
totally unimportant, cause its only a avatar-name for this forum without meaning, if you want call it "knight to flight" or "knight the loser" or so on ;-)

Niko wrote on the webside : > ... Maybe a possible contest candidate. :)
No no no, the snow-particle-tutorial can not take part in the contest, i wrote it before the contest startet ! If i want to participate i have to program something new.
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

Is there a limit to the file size?
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

No... but most demos are usually small because they use graphical tricks and such to show off the features.

Not everyone has a highspeed connection, so including 600 megs of video in your demo may not be a good idea.