Irrlicht compiles on OS X.

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
sirshane

Irrlicht compiles on OS X.

Post by sirshane »

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure if someone tried this yet or not.. but I just wanted to let everyone know that Irrlicht does in fact compile on OS X with only minor modifications to the Makefile if you have the OS X XFree86 server installed. :)

Maybe i'll have some screen shots up later if you all are interested.

I'm working on getting my Venom project up and running on my iBook. :P
-Shane
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Yeah, cool. Please post screenshots, I am in fact interested. :) And if you like, send me the Makefile, and I'll include it in the next release. But I can't imagine that everything runs without problems, for example loading textures should not work on a mac..
sirshane

Post by sirshane »

Why shouldn't loading textures work? I did get it work under Linux.. hrm.. let me get Venom working and i'll let you know. :P
-Shane
sirshane

Post by sirshane »

Okay, I got Venom to compile. Irrlicht does in fact run, but I had to do some modifications to the Irrlicht Linux device to make it work.

The XFree86 code was assuming that the XFree86-VidModeExtension module existed. The Apple XFree86 server apparantly doesn't come with this. :(

I modified the code to make sure it doesn't try to mess with VidModeExtension if it doesn't exist. That got Irrlicht to the point where it was at least running.

It seems to run stable, but there are some issues with loading models. I assumed this would be the case.. I'll bet there's problems with endianess. :(

I'm gonna play around and see what I can do to make loading meshes work...
-Shane
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

sirshane wrote:It seems to run stable, but there are some issues with loading models. I assumed this would be the case.. I'll bet there's problems with endianess. :(
Yes, this was what I meant with problems loading textures. This is also true for meshes of course. :)