Level Editor

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
TheBeginner

Level Editor

Post by TheBeginner »

Hy,

first sorry for my bad english...OK, the Irrlicht Engine has no Level Editor...How can i make my Levels...with a Quake Editor???

What is the best Editor for irrlicht, i think that i can make my levels in a Leveleditor like the QuakeEditor and import the levels then to irrlicht, is that right ?!?

Or is there a other way to make my Levels ???
The Objects and characters for my Game will be done with 3DsMAX3.

Thanks
hearsedriver

Post by hearsedriver »

No one stops you from doing levels with 3DS Max also.

Cheers.
matthias gall, lead programmer at sechsta sinn - email matthias@sechsta-sinn.de
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Yes, and I can recomment anim8or, it's free: http://www.anim8or.com
TheBeginner

Post by TheBeginner »

Which Editor is better ??

1. 3dStudiomax3 (I have skill in this Programm)

2. QERadiant (Quake3)
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Yes.

It's not really if one is better, it's more your skill with the application, the availability of the application, and what you plan on using it for what type of engine.

GTK/Q3Radiant/"Any other Quake Level Builder" likes to make small closed levels. GTK is built to make only levels and aids in simplifying the process. Also, it's free.

3D Studio is definitely not free, not many people can afford the money for it. Of course, there are other 3d modeling alternatives like Milkshape. You can make more complicated formations easier than GTK. Plus, you can use the same tool to make the other objects for your game world. This allows for easier scaling of objects and worlds since you can quickly test the two together.
Crud, how do I do this again?

Post by Guest »

Gmax ?

Gmax community

cut down 3DSmax for game dev and its free...
Zaelsius

Post by Zaelsius »

The point with Gmax is that the Engine/Game developer must pay for a license that enables him to create plug-ins for Gmax, while the game modders/engine users can use it freely.

So, using gmax is not a good idea in free software...when you'd need a new exporter for a custom format. If somebody knows about 3ds or .x exporter, please tell me(actually, you won't find any of them :-/ )

So, everybody please forget about gmax... it's only useful when there are available exporters for AAA class games, like Q3 or Unreal.

Post by Guest »

We use Hammer Editor from Valve. An then we export the map to a map file and compile it into our own level format. it works fine!
Cleves

Post by Cleves »

I,myself use 3D studio max 5 for levels and milkshape for models but there is a free open source modeler called Aztec,which is like max
http://aztec.sourceforge.net/aztec.php

Try it out

Post by Guest »

Aztec is like Maya, not Max.
Cleves

Post by Cleves »

Sorry my mistake
MG

Editor

Post by MG »

Cleves wrote:I,myself use 3D studio max 5 for levels and milkshape for models but there is a free open source modeler called Aztec,which is like max
http://aztec.sourceforge.net/aztec.php

Try it out
Hi, how do zou convert level from MAX5 to .MAP? Thanks s lot.
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

You can export a .3ds from Max and then use it in Irrlicht.

Btw, i recommend Wings3d, a free 3d modeler. Its very easy to use - and you can create very good models (and levels too).

For example, i created this gamepad in 20 minutes or less:

- Wings3d Gamepad

- or this robot

Wings3d for teh win! ;)
MG

Level editor

Post by MG »

Hmm, this looks good. But how i convert scene to .MAP?
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

3dsmax has no native support for the .map format. You could use google and perhaps you are lucky and can find a plugin for that.

But i dont understand why you want to convert a scene from 3dsmax to .map? Because this sentence: "i myself use 3D studio max 5 for levels" means using 3dsmax for building the level, and then export it to .3ds which can be loaded by Irrlicht.