best system for a diablo like view style ??

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
AmigaIrr

best system for a diablo like view style ??

Post by AmigaIrr »

:?:

wath is better to use ?

BSP, .X, .MD3, ... ??

thanks....
L'eternité c'est long, surtout vers la fin...

Q6600 triton 79, 4 GO, 2* RAPTOR 150GO of ARECA 256 RAID 0, 3870 Zalmann, P5K. 24" Samsung. Antec nine hundred

Post by Guest »

Diablo-style but in 3d?

Post by Guest »

he means isometric view (diablo-style is a common word for it).
i would use terrain and models.
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

Yes, right, diablo (and d2) use isometric view
(diablo 2 use 3d graphics hardware acceleration to manage screen)

i think 3d is better than pure 2d especialy for light and special effects !

then, y préconise terreain + object.

right, i go

BUT, wath for terrain type ?
and wath editor use for terrain creation ?

Q6600 triton 79, 4 GO, 2* RAPTOR 150GO of ARECA 256 RAID 0, 3870 Zalmann, P5K. 24" Samsung. Antec nine hundred

Post by Guest »

there are no "types" of terrain like BSP or X for example. you can use several scenenodes but the best i think is the "GeoMipMap Terrain" that you can find here:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=5166

for heightmap creation you dont need any tools, as a heightmap simply consists of b/w colors, you could even use windows paint for that.

but if you look for a very good 2D graphics program like adobe photoshop for example, i suggest you have a look at gimp:
www.gimp.org

and if you look for 3D graphics program you may have a look at blender:
www.blender3d.org

basically you only need gimp to make your smoothed heightmaps (paint has no ability to make smooth ones) and if you are experienced enough you can do all other 2D images in it aswell, since its really useful. for objects you can use blender, a very good tool, too. and for the terrain you use a scenenode like the geomipmapping one as i told you above.

good luck :)
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

Thanks.

but :

the terrain is very 'flaty"
my intention is to generate a terrain with many différents round types, no inly a simple texture stretched..... and many interaction with... :wink:

i need to recomiple irrlicht.... :(

and i cant try the terrain gen (no save in the free version !) ! :evil:

my intention is to use the "default irrlicht engine" (for the moment ?)

thanks for your help.... :D

AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

il liked the matrix style in Dark Basic Pro

a terrain generation that eich face can contain a différent texture !!

I thinking to another system :

- a différent mesh for any type of texture
- composing the world by paste side by side the mesh to create the whole world
- create my own terrein editor based on tiled engine in 3d !!!

AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

ahve you see the beutiful textures in warcraft III ?

the terrain is not uniform !

has a multiples textures, and it's really in 3d (rotating, ....)

is this possible in irrlicht ?

or go to OGRE ?

my intention is very to coding this type of terrain, with many différents textures...

Thanks for your help !!

:)

Post by Guest »

Hello

You can put all the textures in one file (bmp jpg etc)
then for each poligon of you terain you can use th UV parmeters to select the texture you want

you need a good 3d editor (ex 3d studio Max) and even like this it's quite long.

olivier
SARIN

Post by SARIN »

hey, another db user.
anyways, i suggest using anim8or [url]http:\\www.anim8or.com[/url]
also, for terrain generation, i strongly suggest terranim8or, a plugin for anim8or. i just make my terrains in teranim8or, import them into the modeler, add buildings or trees etc. and export as 3ds or obj. also for actual animation
(despite its name, anim8or cant export animation) i would use milkshape3d. it comes with a free 30 day trial version, and is quite cheep for the full
Plato

Post by Plato »

If I would decide to build Diabolo-Clone game I would:

1) for terrain - use seamless world with predesigned locations (reason: the player should memorize map locations to predefine fighting tactics. Random Generated terrain will mix players brains up)

2) for effects - use HLSL shaders for smoke, reflection and water (reason: looks nice :) )

3) for models - MD2, MD3 - good for FPshooter not RPGame... Predefine animation is past century so its much much better to use inGame phisics to define animation.

4) for gameplay - guys, lets forget "Diabolo-clone", "Fallout-clone" and ect labels. I would make "real world" not "quest-oriented" one. I would take MMORPG rules and make single game out of this...
Plato

Post by Plato »

1) for terrain - use seamless world with predesigned locations (reason: the player should memorize map locations to predefine fighting tactics. Random Generated terrain will mix players brains up)

2) for effects - use HLSL shaders for smoke, reflection and water (reason: looks nice :) )

3) for models - MD2, MD3 - good for FPshooter not RPGame... Predefine animation is past century so its much much better to use inGame phisics to define animation.

4) for gameplay - guys, lets forget "Diabolo-clone", "Fallout-clone" and ect labels. I would make "real world" not "quest-oriented" one. I would take MMORPG rules and make single game out of this...
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

very thanks people !!

I think about....

:P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can put all the textures in one file (bmp jpg etc)
then for each poligon of you terain you can use th UV parmeters to select the texture you want

you need a good 3d editor (ex 3d studio Max) and even like this it's quite long.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--> can you explain a little more ??

Very thanks !!

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

If you are using photoshop, you can place a base texture, then apply other textures over it, setting the opacity of each. My av under my name is actualy 4 different pics merged into one. It works.
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
SARIN

Post by SARIN »

u could try using irrlichts addZipFileArchive, and converting all the textures into the zip file. this would prob be easier and take less space.

1) for terrain - use seamless world with predesigned locations ( reason: the player should memorize map locations to predefine fighting tactics. Random Generated terrain will mix players brains up)

2) for effects - use HLSL shaders for smoke, reflection and water ( reason: looks nice )

plato, i disagree. if its a diablo clone, then 1)there should be random worlds, BUT predefined locations slightly random placed (in the same area)
2)actually, i agree here 3)i think that animations might be easier, and would follow more of the RPG diablo style, but if possible the physics might be great 4)mmorpg IS quest oriented, the only difference is that the quests are usually optional (which might be wat ur saying, i dont no)
anyways, goodluck amigairr