New Irrlicht team-member for iOS & metal: Daniel Bocksteger

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Granyte

Re: New Irrlicht team-member for iOS & metal: Daniel Bockste

Post by Granyte »

Of the top of my head I use instancing, custom vertex formats, 3d textures, tessellation and texture arrays

There may be a couple other features I cannot think of.

Also I'm not migrating to OGL any time my code is way to reliant on my shaders and so far I find GLSL to be more annoying to write then HLSL. VK might be a possibility because HLSL can be compiled to SPIR-V but such a migration would need a dx11 driver side by side in the same branch.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Of the top of my head I use instancing, custom vertex formats, 3d textures, tessellation and texture arrays
All are available WITHOUT resorting to calling stuff from "video::COpenGLDriver" or "video::COpenGLExtensionHandler".
Also I'm not migrating to OGL any time my code is way to reliant on my shaders and so far I find GLSL to be more annoying to write then HLSL. VK might be a possibility because HLSL can be compiled to SPIR-V but such a migration would need a dx11 driver side by side in the same branch.
Hmm, I see you may share an attitude similar to the ones you may be complaining about.
It might cheer you up to know that GLSL 4.30 core-profile is much cleaner to write than what you think is GLSL, especially with the wonderful `layout(binding=X)` specifiers.
Anyhow, this is the closest I can offer you as an alternative to completely switching to an unrelated engine to be able to actually use your GPU.

On another note, there are lots of HLSL to GLSL cross-compilers, Unity even has one (and either glslang or glsl-cross can compile SPIR-V back down to GLSL). All you have to worry about is just your bindings to SSBOs, UBOs, all the resource slots.
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Post by chronologicaldot »

Welcome, Daniel! Thanks for volunteering!

I'm a Linux guy, but it'd be nice to still have the option to compile stuff for Apple products.
LunaRebirth

Post by LunaRebirth »

Welcome, Daniel :D

I guess I'm (probably?) the only one here who currently has an app using Irrlicht on the iOS app store and am still working on it's development, so I am very excited for Daniel to be working on metal. It shows that Irrlicht is taking a step forward, and that my app may not be incompatible in the future due to lack of engine support.

Welcome, again!
DanielBocksteger
Developer

Post by DanielBocksteger »

LunaRebirth wrote:Welcome, Daniel :D

I guess I'm (probably?) the only one here who currently has an app using Irrlicht on the iOS app store and am still working on it's development, so I am very excited for Daniel to be working on metal. It shows that Irrlicht is taking a step forward, and that my app may not be incompatible in the future due to lack of engine support.

Welcome, again!
Not the only one. Our company has two Apps running on Irrlicht on the AppStore :-)

Take a look on https://www.winworker.de/mobile-aufmass-apps/ for details, but beware! It's a german company with a german website :D
Best regards,
Daniel Bocksteger

German iOS Developer born in '95.
Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla »

Well, it seems i am a little bit late, since i do not look regurlary in this forum nowadays....

But also from me welcome/herzlich willkommen Daniel :D
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Daniel got refused by SSH server a few times on svn commits so far. I can't help much with ssh setup on Apple as I have no Apple (or maybe still something wrong on SF setup side) . But I hope https-login solution will work when he tries next time. Yeah, some problems come from unexpected directions :-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Ok, is there any roadmap that can be discussed or will there be?

Or are you freestyling it? (not that I have anything against that)