Golden Age MMO

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Dreadstew

Golden Age MMO

Post by Dreadstew »

Hello! I've been wanting to start on another MMO and I finally have some good work put in. I'm super invested in this one so I figured I'd put it out there and maybe find some helpers, or maybe some of you would like to learn from it.

https://github.com/JacobStewart64/GoldenAgeGame

Login is close to being done. I have to finish the character select screen. Then it's on to gameplay. I have coded up to walking around and basic attacks previously so that should be easy. I'm not lacking any programming ability really, except when it comes to graphics stuff, I need content creators for sure. Any help programming would be great too!

The game will play like a MOBA. Combat like league of legends except in an MMO. Hopefully an "arena" with real moba matches could be played inside the MMO.

For the code I'm trying to keep it simple and minimize repeated code. I'm using simple interfaces, a lot of std::string where a raw buffer might be faster but the goal is get the game up and running, then go back and optimize. I'm logging basically everything so that you get a nice output stream in debug mode letting you know about whats happening. The project is currently about 1900 lines of code. I expect when most of the gameplay is done that it will be about 10-20k lines. I have no idea how big game companies make million line projects lol, but I don't think mine will need to be that big to deliver a decent MOBA MMO experience.

Check it out, fork it and send me your pull requests, or offer your criticisms or advice please! Upon looking at all the code again, it really does need refactored and cleaned up, yet again. I'm messy lol. Open to suggestions about design for sure.
denzelbro

Re: Golden Age MMO

Post by denzelbro »

Cool and interesting project you got here! just curious though how this currently looks like.. any videos, visuals or screenshots?
Dreadstew

Post by Dreadstew »

Unfortunately not yet, the game looks like crap, my hand decided to go numb on me so I have to take a break for the time being. I'm going to spend this recovery time researching graphics workflows and stuff like that. Maybe I'll get something presentable up on my github. For now the graphics are trash lol. High point for the project as it stands is a decently secured login. Not a professional at security but I'm using https to establish a secure key for encrypting data on a udp channel. It's an idea I had one day when I was having trouble using OpenSSL DTLS.

Hopefully in a few more months the project will be more worth checking out and getting involved in. It's only about a month into it yet. My array_packet class and stream reading/writing needs redone bad. I'm going to get rid of std::string and stringstream and stuff like that and try to write something performant that gets the job done right. Currently positions are not being read and written correctly and my character does not spawn in the right spot... lol
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

how about a video? The point is how the existing functionality works so let's get past those assets.. :wink: