Disable Selfshadowing on Stencil Shadows?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
denzelbro

Disable Selfshadowing on Stencil Shadows?

Post by denzelbro »

Is there a way to disable or remove selfshadowing on stencil shadows?
devsh
Competition winner

Re: Disable Selfshadowing on Stencil Shadows?

Post by devsh »

AFAIK the stencil shadow algorithm is Z-fail (quake 3 style) so it happens for your whole scene due to the stencilbuffer.

You could most probably disable the stencil test in the lighting pass manually on the mesh in question, but it would disable all shadows (not just from itself) on it.
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

devsh wrote:AFAIK the stencil shadow algorithm is Z-fail (quake 3 style) so it happens for your whole scene due to the stencilbuffer.

You could most probably disable the stencil test in the lighting pass manually on the mesh in question, but it would disable all shadows (not just from itself) on it.
I see, so basically it is taken exactly or somehow similar from quake3? Would it be possible to use a similar shadow volume shader based solution without making any changes to the engine? thanks.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

No, you need to delve into engine or at least use something more custom than ISceneManager::drawAll().
denzelbro

Post by denzelbro »

devsh wrote:No, you need to delve into engine or at least use something more custom than ISceneManager::drawAll().
I see. So it is still possible that I don't need to change any engine source code? I did find some addons/extensions which overrides or has its custom drawAll.